GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   weeping willow yellow leaves (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/42302-weeping-willow-yellow-leaves.html)

justinpadams 06-09-2003 02:42 PM

weeping willow yellow leaves

Can anyone help me? The leaves of my weeping willow tree are turning yellow
and falling off. The ones that haven't yet gone yellow are green, limp and
crispy. I have had the tree for about 6 months and it is in a large ceramic
pot on my patio. It was attacked by some insects in July and a similar
thing happened then, but I can't see any insects on it this time. Obviously
the leaves all returned after the July attack, but I'm not sure what has
caused the problem this time. When it first started turning yellow I
noticed it was particularly dry so have given it lots of water and a feed of
Miracle Grow but to no avail. Could it be pot-bound? It's gone downhill so
quickly.....

Help!

Thanks

Clare

Janice 06-09-2003 03:12 PM

weeping willow yellow leaves

Is it kilmarnock, the small type that's grafted? If so, I have one of these
and it does the same thing (as do those I see in other gardens). I'm giving
mine one last chance -- if it doesn't give me a lovely show of pussies in
spring (which it hasn't done in 3 years) then I'm digging it out and
chucking it away because it's more trouble than it's worth. It's full of
mildew, rust, aphids, ants, and the foliage is incredible ugly.

Kay Easton 06-09-2003 05:12 PM

weeping willow yellow leaves

In article , justinpadams
writes
Can anyone help me? The leaves of my weeping willow tree are turning yellow
and falling off. The ones that haven't yet gone yellow are green, limp and
crispy. I have had the tree for about 6 months and it is in a large ceramic
pot on my patio. It was attacked by some insects in July and a similar
thing happened then, but I can't see any insects on it this time. Obviously
the leaves all returned after the July attack, but I'm not sure what has
caused the problem this time. When it first started turning yellow I
noticed it was particularly dry so have given it lots of water and a feed of
Miracle Grow but to no avail. Could it be pot-bound? It's gone downhill so
quickly.....

The effect of drought doesn't necessarily appear instantly - it can
droop, you water it, and a few days later the leaves go crisp. It will
probably recover and send out new shoots after that.

As a general rule, you should not feed a sickly plant, or one that you
have allowed to go dry.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Mike Lyle 06-09-2003 09:02 PM

"Janice" wrote in message ...

[...]

(NOTE: I have taken the liberty of remodelling this a bit to put it in
conventional bottom-posting order, which is easier to read.)

I don't think there's much future in growing a weeping willow in a
pot: they put out a vigorous root system, and in my opinion don't
really look their best till they're about twenty feet high. Even if
you hadn't said it had had a dried-out period, I'd suspect it was
starving to death; or perhaps unnatural confinement has made it
vulnerable to other problems. Just to complicate matters, these trees
can also get sick-looking if they get *too much* water: are the
drainage holes in the pot big enough?

Mike.

Jane Ransom 06-09-2003 09:22 PM

weeping willow yellow leaves

In article , justinpadams
writes
Can anyone help me? The leaves of my weeping willow tree are turning yellow
and falling off.

In actual fact, many of the trees around here are showing distinct signs
of autumn. Perhaps your tree is doing the same!!!

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

justinpadams 07-09-2003 02:02 PM

weeping willow yellow leaves

Thank you all for your help and advice. Some of the leaves are no longer
crisp - they are still yellow, but at least it's not dead! I have nowhere
in my garden to plant it out, so I think my mum will inherit it (many a time
has she commented on how she'd like it in her garden - in fact, maybe she
sabotaged it.....)

Thanks

Clare

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message