Old 06-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Pip and Jorj

Default getting rid of scale

Hiya,

I am new and have a houseplant question. I have searched without success for a
houseplants news group. If there is a more appropriate place for this question
please let me know.

I have two large plants in my bathroom that have scale quite badly. I went to a
local large garden centre, asked what they suggested, bought as recommended an
aerosol spray. Called Ultimate Bug Killer "Provado". Contains 0.025%
imidacloprid, 0.05%methiocarb. Say s treats a number of common pests including
"Scale Insect". Followed instructions, a week later plants and scale worse.
Sprayed more intensely still no better.

What do I need to use or do to get rid off this scale before I lose the plants
altogether.

Many thanks for any help or advice, or for being pointed towards the best place
to ask the question.

thanks

Pip

George's diary www.fly-by-night.fsnet.co.uk

George's photos:-

http://www.photobox.co.uk/public/cus...customer=35624

Old 10-09-2003, 02:20 AM
bnd777

"Pip and Jorj" wrote in message
[...]

I believe some people say you need to painstakingly remove the scale insects
one by one

---

Old 10-09-2003, 02:02 PM
billtheburglar

"bnd777" wrote in message ...
[...]

i have found the provado stuff works if you start by physically
removing as much scale as possible - wash the whole plant with warm
soapy water squishing as you go. This gets rid of most of the mature
insects which are so well armoured & sealed that they are impervious
to contact poisons. then spray when plant is dry, and keep spraying
every two weeks.