Old 06-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Alan Johnson

Default dog(bitch) resistant grass

We have had two border collie dogs and now have a border collie bitch.
The grass at the back of the house was ok until the bitch arrived - now
it contains brown patches where she has wet.

Are there any grass varieties that are resistant?

AJ

Old 06-09-2003, 09:22 PM
bnd777

"Alan Johnson" wrote in message
We have had two border collie dogs and now have a border collie bitch.
The grass at the back of the house was ok until the bitch arrived - now
it contains brown patches where she has wet.

Are there any grass varieties that are resistant?

AJ

Sadly no ........its taken us 5 years to get our grass decent again after
the demise of our 2 bitches and along comes this drought and wrecked the
entire lawn

Old 08-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Drakanthus

We have had two border collie dogs and now have a border collie bitch.
The grass at the back of the house was ok until the bitch arrived - now
it contains brown patches where she has wet.

Are there any grass varieties that are resistant?

Astroturf :-)

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 10-09-2003, 02:51 AM
Xebug

"Alan Johnson" wrote in message
We have had two border collie dogs and now have a border collie bitch.
The grass at the back of the house was ok until the bitch arrived - now
it contains brown patches where she has wet.

Are there any grass varieties that are resistant?

AJ

There are some varieties of grass that are more resistant. You can purchase
blends of perrenial ryegrass and fescue which is supposed to be more
resistant to pretty much everything, including bitch urine.

We had a brand new lawn laid in may, and it's had a real hard time with our
two bitches as well as the hot weather this year. Rather than start again
with a different type of grass, I decided to repair and protect the existing
lawn, and it's now starting to look quite healthy again.

Here's a few tips I've learned:

1. If you do get the chance, saturate the areas where the dogs have been
before the urine kills the grass. This will wash away a lot of the nitrates.
If it's already gone yellow, then do this anyway for the benefit of new
growth.

2. As saturation can protect the lawn, a lack of water can exacerbate the
problem. In really dry spells the damage will be far greater, so keep the
lawn well watered.

3. The obvious answer is to keep the dogs off the lawn. I *know* this is
easier said than done. I've resorted to screaming at ours if they so much as
look at the grass. A sprinkler also does the trick.

4. You can purchase supplements to your dogs food to reduce the amounts of
nitrates in their urine. I've no idea how safe or successful this is, so I
can't recommend it.

5. You might find that areas around the yellow patches have gone greener and
grow faster than the rest of the lawn, this is because a small amount of
extra nitrates actually feed the grass and it goes nuts! Combat the uneven
look of the lawn by feeding the totally unaffected areas.

6. If you want to quickly repair yellow patches, then remove the dead grass,
give the ground a good forking to air it and make it uneven, then reseed and
water.

X.

Old 23-09-2003, 09:51 PM
DaveDay34

4. You can purchase supplements to your dogs food to reduce the amounts of
nitrates in their urine. I've no idea how safe or successful this is, so I
can't recommend it.

You can also put small amounts of tomatoe ketchup on the dog's dinner to stop
scorching. It doesn't seem to do humans any harm when added to burgers and the
like (tomatoe ketchup, not dog's urine) so I'd guess it'd be ok for the dog
too.

Dave.
Old 29-09-2003, 11:12 PM
Xebug

"DaveDay34" wrote in message
4. You can purchase supplements to your dogs food to reduce the amounts

of
nitrates in their urine. I've no idea how safe or successful this is, so

can't recommend it.

You can also put small amounts of tomatoe ketchup on the dog's dinner to

stop
scorching. It doesn't seem to do humans any harm when added to burgers

and the
like (tomatoe ketchup, not dog's urine) so I'd guess it'd be ok for the

dog
too.

Dave.

Interesting tip.

Thanks.

X.

Old 03-10-2003, 08:44 PM
cross

You can also put small amounts of tomatoe ketchup on the dog's dinner to

stop
scorching. It doesn't seem to do humans any harm when added to burgers

and the
like (tomatoe ketchup, not dog's urine) so I'd guess it'd be ok for the

dog
too.

Dave.

How much tomato ketchup should be added to a lurcher's dinner to stop her
wee scorching the lawn?

Marina (for Trudi and her first garden which is shared with said dog ;-) )