Old 06-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Seven

Default Trailing fushia

I have one of these trailing fuchsias, and have it just planted in the
garden, not in a hanging basket or box, it seems to be doing brilliantly and
has tripled in size, will it continue to grow or do I need to put it so that
it can "trail"?

I really like it where it is and would love for it to stay there.

--
I used to be a bighead
Now I am perfect )

Old 06-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Spider

Many trailing fuchsias are tender or borderline hardy only. If you want to
leave it in the garden, make sure you take several cuttings as an 'insurance
policy'. Otherwise, if you're both happy )), leave it where it is.
If it were mine, I'd certainly take cuttings and grow it elsewhere too. Why
stint the rest of the garden?!
Do you know which variety it is?
Spider

Old 06-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Seven

it's an Annabel,

Has just started flowering, it's absolutely beautiful.

)

I am not very sure on how to make the cuttings, so any advice would me much
appreciated.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Franz Heymann

"Seven" wrote in message
it's an Annabel,

Has just started flowering, it's absolutely beautiful.

)

I am not very sure on how to make the cuttings, so any advice would me

much
appreciated.

Cut about 2 to 3 inches long, non-flowering growth.
Trim to a node (just where leaflets join the stem).
Dip in root-forming hormone. (Optional)
Insert in pot containing gel or cutting compost.
Water thoroughly and allow to drain..
Invert a jam jar or suchlike over the cutting to minimise moisture loss and
to keep the local atmosphere very damp.
Keep it in a greenhouse, in a cold frame or on a window sill
Wait with great patience for four or more weeks.
Inspect carefully for roots appearing.
If so, pot up and keep in light, frost free position through the winter.
Don't plant out till after next year's frost season is over.

Franz

Old 07-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Seven

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Seven" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that, I am pretty new at the gardening stuff, this is my first
year really, but I am having loads of fun doing it!

Old 07-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"Seven" wrote in message
[...]

By virtue of beginners' luck, you will of course be more successful with
your cuttings this season than you will be for a long time afterwards.

By the way, I forgot to say that you should strip some leaves off the stem
of the cutting, so that you don't get leaves buried in the soil when you
insert the cutting.

Franz

Old 09-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Spider

Many trailing fuchsias are tender or border-line hardy. If yours is one of
these it will not thrive outside unless you're in a very mild area.
If it's a hardy form then it will probably survive, but may need a lot a
cleaning up in the spring - even many hardy forms drop their leaves and look
sad over winter.
My only other concern would be damage/soiling of the trailing shoots even in
summer. However, if the plant seems to cope and you are happy, then that's
not a problem. A compromise would be a raised bed, from where you could
deadhead and preen your fuchsia more easily.
Spider

Old 09-10-2003, 08:23 PM
Seven

Thanks,

I think I am going to lift it and keep it in the greenhouse just in case,
it's too gorgeous to lose!