Old 07-09-2003, 03:23 PM

Default Horse manure again

Spurred on by the previous horsemanure thread, and having been used to
paying for it (delivered admittedly) for the allotment, I asked in a
local non-chain garden centre and now have the phone number of a
stables which bags it and leaves it to you to collect (by
arrangement). They also knew of another where you just turn up and bag
it yourself, but I couldn't be bothered with that one as I've got a
duff back!

So if anyone's in the Chilterns within easy driving distance of
Wendover/Great Missenden/Chesham and wants some, I have their phone
number...

Don't as yet know if it's well rotted but I'd have thought so.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 07-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Seven

I work in a egg producing farm, and I am sure my boss would let me have some
of the chicken shit home if I wanted, but what would I do with it?

Does anything need to be done before spreading it? And what time of year
should I be doing it?

This is my first year of gardening so I would appreciate any help given.

Old 07-09-2003, 06:14 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

which is better horse or cow manure?

What for?

--
Frère Jaques
They knocked the Bell down and erected a charade of pops.

Old 07-09-2003, 07:13 PM
jane

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 15:44:49 +0100, "Seven" wrote:
~"martin" wrote:
~ On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 14:18:20 +0000 (UTC),
~ wrote:
~
~ Spurred on by the previous horsemanure thread, and having been used to
~ paying for it (delivered admittedly) for the allotment, I asked in a
~ local non-chain garden centre and now have the phone number of a
~ stables which bags it and leaves it to you to collect (by
~ arrangement). They also knew of another where you just turn up and bag
~ it yourself, but I couldn't be bothered with that one as I've got a
~ duff back!
~
~ Pick your own?
~ ....... a free garlic clove with every bag. :-)
~
~ which is better horse or cow manure?
~
~Or chicken?
~
~)
~

depends what you want to do with it.

Chicken is very high nitrogen rocket fuel for leafy green plants but
doesn't have much organic bulk in the pellets.

Cow is also a bit rockety but has more in the way of bulky rotted
organic matter ie straw etc. Can be claggy and smelly.

Horse seems to rot down better, but is also high in organic bulk
(straw or these days, often wood shavings) and has a better texture.
The woodshavings type takes a bit longer to rot I think.

At this time of the year, allotment newbies may notice brown heaps of
the stuff appearing on plots, which disappear gradually into the soil
over the next two months or so as plots are cleared and dug over. Take
note (and get some...) but beware adding it to all your proposed plots
for next year as you don't want to manure your carrot/roots area.
It'll make them fork... Best check what nitrogen requirements there
are for your rotation and manure accordingly.

Of course if you have an incredibly poor soil, with no organic matter
in whatsoever, it may well be worth manuring the lot and foregoing
roots in the first year, just to make sure you've got a decent growing
medium.

If you want to grow organically, check with your manure supplier to
see if they routinely give antibiotics etc to their animals, as you
don't want to be eating those second hand! (Tends to be more cow:
another reason for going for horse).

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 07-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Mike Lyle

"Seven" wrote in message ...
I work in a egg producing farm, and I am sure my boss would let me have some
of the chicken shit home if I wanted, but what would I do with it?

Does anything need to be done before spreading it? And what time of year
should I be doing it?

[...]

At all costs, compost it thoroughly before spreading: this applies
even more strongly to chicken shit, which will kill plants. If
possible, heap it with general garden waste in the usual compost-heap
way. If you haven't got that much plant material, I'd say heap the
dung and cover it until you've got enough.

Mike.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:44 PM
bnd777

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
"Seven" wrote in message

I work in a egg producing farm, and I am sure my boss would let me have

some
of the chicken shit home if I wanted, but what would I do with it?

Does anything need to be done before spreading it? And what time of

year
should I be doing it?

[...]

At all costs, compost it thoroughly before spreading: this applies
even more strongly to chicken shit, which will kill plants. If
possible, heap it with general garden waste in the usual compost-heap
way. If you haven't got that much plant material, I'd say heap the
dung and cover it until you've got enough.

Mike.

On a bare allotment plot you can pile on what you like at this time of year

You can put horse manure on your garden beds from October but not round very
tender leaf stuff as it could be too much
Its great for roses and round fruit bushes,canes etc

Old 09-09-2003, 12:10 AM
Dave Painter

"martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 14:18:20 +0000 (UTC),

which is better horse or cow manure?

My Uncle was able to get some Elephant dung a few years back from a visiting
circus.
Apparently it was the best Rhubarb in years and the roses were excellent!

Elephant really just an overgrown horse, in the manure sense!

Dave

Old 09-09-2003, 12:12 AM
jane

wrote:
~
~Spurred on by the previous horsemanure thread, and having been used to
~paying for it (delivered admittedly) for the allotment,
~
~Is it worth driving and picking it up. I get five sq metre delivered
~to my Allotment for £22. It would cost me more than that in petrol to
~drive to the stable and back.

Probably not. I'll only see it as worthwhile because I *don't* then
have 5 cubic m of the stuff lurking about for years and I can actually
use my own compost heap rather than the next door neighbour's :-/
I only have half a standard plot and it's taken me two years to polish
off the last delivery (almost). That was cow, and never again...
waaay too heavy and sticky!* I reckon the advantage of a few bags at
once for me is I can back the car up to the plot, drop it off and
stick the bags right where I need them via the wheelbarrow.

I've only just found the source, so I dunno what it's like either, and
I forgot to phone tonight to arrange a pickup.

jane

*and thus responsible for my slipped disk last Feb - still stopping me
from doing much :-( and the last reason for small manageable bags!
--
jane

Mark Twain