Old 07-09-2003, 06:33 PM
pcb

Default has anyone ever ordered from crocus.co.uk?

What was your experience? Were you happy with the products you
received? I don't have access to a car and I really don't like relying
on others to take me to the garden centres, so I've been thinking of
ordering some plants and bulbs from them.

tia

pcb

Old 07-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Martin Sykes

"pcb" wrote in message
news
What was your experience? Were you happy with the products you
received? I don't have access to a car and I really don't like relying
on others to take me to the garden centres, so I've been thinking of
ordering some plants and bulbs from them.

tia

pcb

I ordered a few plants a while ago - a eucalyptus, a kniphofia, an olive
tree .. They're not the cheapest but I was very pleased with the size and
quality of the plants I received.

Martin

Old 08-09-2003, 04:42 AM
Culturalenigma

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
"pcb" wrote in message
news
What was your experience? Were you happy with the products you
received? I don't have access to a car and I really don't like relying
on others to take me to the garden centres, so I've been thinking of
ordering some plants and bulbs from them.

tia

pcb

I ordered a few plants a while ago - a eucalyptus, a kniphofia, an olive
tree .. They're not the cheapest but I was very pleased with the size and
quality of the plants I received.

Martin

I've never ordered from them, but tehy are very professional in dealings
with people.

Trai

Old 08-09-2003, 08:22 AM
Peter Goddard

I.ve had several shrubs and bamboos from them, The plants supplied were all
of an excellent size and very well packed. I thought overall they were
excellent but a tad pricey.

Old 08-09-2003, 12:41 PM
Victoria Clare

(Jim W) wrote in
news:1g0xgma.6oxv8l7cxc5rN%00senetnospamtodayta@ma cunlimited.net:

Unless you're out of range of those too in which
case research some of the other mail order options eg Parkers
http://www.jparkers.co.uk/
(I have used before and found to be OK they will give money back if
plants don't grow as well.

I had a bad experience with Parkers (mouldy lily bulbs) and would not
order from them again myself (yes, you can return things, but that is so
much hassle, and often by the time you've had it and sent it back it's a
bit late in the season for planting the replacement.) Mind you, that
was three years ago now, so maybe they have cleaned up their act.

Have bought from crocus.co.uk, and would support other's views: yes,
decent quality, but not cheap.

I can also recommend from this year's shopping:

Ken Muir (www.kenmuir.co.uk) for fruit (they also send you a free 'care
of' book when you order, which is rather nice, though I now have several
of them and am running out of people to give them to...) website only
works properly with Internet Explorer tho :-(

http://www.willowsnursery.co.uk/ for cyclamen (they sell willow and
stuff too I think, but have no direct experience of that)

Chiltern Seeds - www.edirectory.co.uk/chilternseeds/ for huge range of
obscure and ordinary seeds

Secret Seeds - http://www.secretseeds.com/ - for more seeds and a nicer
catalogue layout than Chiltern (I think)

www.plantworld-devon.co.uk/ - another nice seed catalogue, and I'm
fairly sure they are actually a supplier for Chiltern - things are
slightly cheaper from them, but they only sell their own stuff, so a
smaller range.

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/ for netting and weed control fabric

Vernons for pelargoniums - http://www.geraniumsuk.com/ - not the
cheapest, but a really good range.

(OK, I admit it, I shop too much online...)

Victoria

--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Old 08-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Jim W

Victoria Clare wrote:

(Jim W) wrote in
news:1g0xgma.6oxv8l7cxc5rN%00senetnospamtodayta@ma cunlimited.net:

Unless you're out of range of those too in which
case research some of the other mail order options eg Parkers
http://www.jparkers.co.uk/
(I have used before and found to be OK they will give money back if
plants don't grow as well.

I had a bad experience with Parkers (mouldy lily bulbs) and would not
order from them again myself (yes, you can return things, but that is so
much hassle, and often by the time you've had it and sent it back it's a
bit late in the season for planting the replacement.) Mind you, that
was three years ago now, so maybe they have cleaned up their act.

Sorry? 'too much hassle' to write and send an email and quote the order
number of the reciept?

I've only had 2 problems with them and in each case I sent a single
email and plants were either replaced or the cost refunded.

With an order for some Passiflora and later for some lavenders 1 or 2
out of 12 of the plants were a bit mildewy/weak and didn't survive. I
emailed them about this and they replaced all 12 plants in both cases.

Their plants are not HUGE. in most cases rooted cuttings or divisions
but I prefer that. Large plants may take longer to establish.

They're not mind readers ya know..

I will make a note of 1 or 2 of your other site recommendations though.
//
Jim

SNIPPED

Old 08-09-2003, 07:03 PM
Janice

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
I had a bad experience with Parkers (mouldy lily bulbs) and would not
order from them again myself (yes, you can return things, but that is

so
much hassle, and often by the time you've had it and sent it back it's

bit late in the season for planting the replacement.) Mind you, that
was three years ago now, so maybe they have cleaned up their act.

Sorry? 'too much hassle' to write and send an email and quote the order
number of the reciept?

I ordered from Parker's. Got a bad batch of perennials - ony 6 out of 30
grew back. Bulbs were okay. I phoned them; no problem they sent me a new
batch. Only trouble was that I lost two seasons of growth so was
disappointed about that.

I'll be ordering from Parker's again, but guardedly. Hopefully will get
better plants this time. I'll keep the group posted on what happens in
spring.

Old 08-09-2003, 09:02 PM
anne

Janice wrote in message

[...]

Has anyone ever ordered from Nicky's Seeds http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk
For some reason I've never trusted the *look* of the website.

Old 08-09-2003, 09:33 PM
Jim W

anne wrote:

Janice wrote in message

[...]

No but I've ordered from Janelane nursery and its been fine!-)
//
Jim

Old 09-09-2003, 05:23 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "anne" contains these words:

Has anyone ever ordered from Nicky's Seeds http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk
For some reason I've never trusted the *look* of the website.

Yes, no problem whatsoever. On the recommend list from me.

Got Asparagus with an over 75% germ rate. No problem.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 11-09-2003, 08:07 PM
Registered User

Location: Cambridge

Hi all,

i'm new to this forum, and gardening in general (new hobby due to semi retirement).

I ahve read with interest all the posts on this thread & looked at a few of the sites mentioned.

Anybody ever bought from www.4seasonsbulbs.co.uk ??? Looks like an webshop only but the prices seem good & I might place a small order to see how the products are ?

Hope I'm posting correctly !!

Jon
Old 11-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Jim W

Sparkman wrote:

Hi all,

i'm new to this forum, and gardening in general (new hobby due to
semiretirement).

I ahve read with interest all the posts on this thread & looked at afew of
the sites mentioned.

Anybody ever bought from www.4seasonsbulbs.co.uk ??? Looks like anwebshop
only but the prices seem good & I might place a small order tosee how the
products are ?

Hope I'm posting correctly !!

Yep.. WHat you've done is called a 'delurk' in USENET lingo.. Basically
a public introduction of yourself to the group.

You're actually posting through a Web portal (garden banter) to a public
USENET group, for more info on USENET take a look at something like:
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet/

Apart from that Welcome..

I can't answer your question on 4seasonsbulbs, but others may be able
to.. You could also try searching for some online reviews, via a search
engine.
//
Jim
Old 12-09-2003, 09:26 PM
Registered User

Location: Cambridge

Hi Jim,

thanks for the tech info ???

Does this mean I shouldn't post directly from gardenbanter ???

I must admit I'm at a bit of a loss here, confused ??
Old 12-09-2003, 11:09 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message m
from Sparkman contains these words:

Hi Jim,

thanks for the tech info ???

Does this mean I shouldn't post directly from gardenbanter ???

You can if you want, but it's a bit like standing on the street
watching TV in a shop window, not realising that most other viewers are
watching for free somewhere a lot more comfortable and convenient :-)

I must admit I'm at a bit of a loss here, confused ??

One can only think that is the intention of the webmaster of gardenbanter.

Janet.