GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   squashes & crop rotation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/42440-squashes-crop-rotation.html)

R 07-09-2003 09:33 PM

squashes & crop rotation

Could someone please let me know which bed the squashes
(marrows,pumpkins in particular) belong in a
Aliums/Brassicas/Legumes/Roots rotation system.
thanks
R.

Stephen Howard 07-09-2003 10:35 PM

squashes & crop rotation

On 7 Sep 2003 13:24:07 -0700, (R) wrote:

Could someone please let me know which bed the squashes
(marrows,pumpkins in particular) belong in a
Aliums/Brassicas/Legumes/Roots rotation system.

None of them really, though beans and peas would be the closest match
perhaps.

The cucurbits are 'gross feeders' - or at least the squashes are, so
what they need is bags of well rotted compost under the roots.
A slightly raised bed will also help to maximise the crop.

I tend to bung them wherever there's a space that's going to be
available from mid April through to September, though I avoid using
the same spot the next year for the same crop.
As far as crop rotation is concerned, I tend to pay more regard to the
type of soil the squashes leave behind... i.e. quite rich and
reasonably well consolidated.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

David Hill 07-09-2003 10:58 PM

squashes & crop rotation

".... Could someone please let me know which bed the squashes
(marrows,pumpkins in particular) belong in a Aliums/Brassicas/Legumes/Roots
rotation system...."

Not being funny, try the compost heap, they will grow so fast on it you wont
want to stand still by it incase they grab you.

Otherwise which ever one you have room for them in

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Alan Gould 08-09-2003 06:10 AM

squashes & crop rotation

In article , R
writes
Could someone please let me know which bed the squashes
(marrows,pumpkins in particular) belong in a
Aliums/Brassicas/Legumes/Roots rotation system.

Squashes are in the Cucurbitaceae family which includes cucumber,
courgette/marrow/zucchini, melon and pumpkin. If they are grown
regularly in soil, they should be given separate rotation from alliums,
brassicas, legumes, roots or the solanum family.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.