Old 08-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Joe Soap of the Crumbling Spires

Default planting Heather and lavender together

after planting a bed with lavender and heather the other day somebody
told me you shouldnt do that because they like opposite types of soil.
Is this the case? Anybody know thanks?
Old 08-09-2003, 02:03 PM
PK

"Joe Soap of the Crumbling Spires" wrote in message
after planting a bed with lavender and heather the other day somebody
told me you shouldnt do that because they like opposite types of soil.
Is this the case? Anybody know thanks?

Think of Heather's natural environment: Peaty (northern) hillsides spring to
mind. Scottish Heather?

Think of Lavender's natural environment: Hot dry stony ground.

pk

Old 08-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Joe Soap of the Crumbling Spires

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:57:34 +0000 (UTC), "PK"
wrote:

"Joe Soap of the Crumbling Spires" wrote in message
.. .
after planting a bed with lavender and heather the other day somebody
told me you shouldnt do that because they like opposite types of soil.
Is this the case? Anybody know thanks?

Think of Heather's natural environment: Peaty (northern) hillsides spring to
mind. Scottish Heather?

Think of Lavender's natural environment: Hot dry stony ground.

pk

Does that mean they won't grow together at all? 'cos I've planted them
now

Old 08-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Joe Soap of the Crumbling Spires writes:
| On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:57:34 +0000 (UTC), "PK"
| wrote:
|
| after planting a bed with lavender and heather the other day somebody
| told me you shouldnt do that because they like opposite types of soil.
| Is this the case? Anybody know thanks?
|
| Think of Heather's natural environment: Peaty (northern) hillsides spring to
| mind. Scottish Heather?
|
| Think of Lavender's natural environment: Hot dry stony ground.
|
| Does that mean they won't grow together at all? 'cos I've planted them
| now

No, not at all. They won't both do very well, though they may
do well enough. Several heathers are pretty drought resistant,
and some are lime tolerant, and lavender can take some winter
waterlogging for a few years, and isn't a real acid hater.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Roses & Lavender together?? BCD Roses 0 13-07-2016 12:31 AM
Lavender and White - pale-lavender-and-white.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 3 30-07-2007 01:36 AM
We are sending to each of you now the REPORT from the 2004 World Conference on Mathematical Biology and Ecology together with instructions of how to get FREE registration in the conference of MATHEMATICS and COMPUTERS in BIOLOGY in Venice (Venetia), W SEAS Biosciences News Plant Biology 0 28-08-2004 04:48 PM
About planting paphs. together Dicky Orchids 5 26-03-2004 03:04 PM
Tiny Heather update jammer Gardening 1 26-01-2003 04:03 AM