GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Eryngium Alpinum (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/42593-eryngium-alpinum.html)

Janice 09-09-2003 03:03 PM

Eryngium Alpinum

I've bought seeds of Eryngium alpinum. The instructions are to sow in
March, pot on in May, then plant out in autumn for flowering the following
year.

Being an impatient person, I want flowers next summer. So, could I sow the
seeds now, overwinter them in a cold greenhouse and plant out in May?

Thanks

IntarsiaCo 09-09-2003 04:23 PM

Eryngium Alpinum

Sow at 65-70F for 2-4 weeks, then 25-40F for 4-6 weeks, then 41-55F for
germination. Best with fresh seed.

Janice 09-09-2003 05:13 PM

Eryngium Alpinum

"IntarsiaCo" wrote in message
Sow at 65-70F for 2-4 weeks, then 25-40F for 4-6 weeks, then 41-55F for

germination. Best with fresh seed.

Blimey, they're obviously not plants for beginners to sow, then! Oh well,
nothing ventured .....

Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson 09-09-2003 06:32 PM

Eryngium Alpinum

The message
from "Janice" contains these words:

"IntarsiaCo" wrote in message
Sow at 65-70F for 2-4 weeks, then 25-40F for 4-6 weeks, then 41-55F for

germination. Best with fresh seed.

Blimey, they're obviously not plants for beginners to sow, then! Oh well,
nothing ventured .....

You could sow half now and hope they survive the winter as small
seedlings, but if they don't you've got some left to sow in early
spring.
I think it's unlikely, though, that you'll get flowers next summer
either way. I had two seeds germinate last spring and neither is more
than three inches tall now. It seems to be a slow grower.

Janet G

Janice 09-09-2003 07:03 PM

Eryngium Alpinum

"Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson" wrote:

Sow at 65-70F for 2-4 weeks, then 25-40F for 4-6 weeks, then 41-55F

for...

You could sow half now and hope they survive the winter I think it's

unlikely, though, that you'll get flowers next
summer either way. I had two seeds germinate last spring and neither is

more than three inches tall now. It seems to
be a slow grower.

Thanks for the reply, Janet. I think I'll do as you suggest -- try half now
the other half in spring. Or, I might just order some plugs from Parker's
and save the bother!!

Regards,