GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   sequel to blaster worm (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/42786-sequel-blaster-worm.html)

Alan Gould 11-09-2003 08:02 PM

sequel to blaster worm

The following message from Microsoft appeared in Demon announce today:

---------------------
Microsoft have issued a new critical security bulletin which
highlights a vulnerability in many versions of their Windows
software.

Details, along with a patch to address the issue can be found at:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/se...s/ms03-039.asp

This vulnerability is very similar to that exploited by the recent
MSBlaster worm and it is believed that an exploit for this new
vulnerability is already 'in the wild'.

We strongly recommend that all customers running Microsoft Windows
should, as soon as possible, read the above Microsoft Security
Bulletin, and if a patch is required, download and install it
without delay.
-----------------------

The patch takes one minute to download and about 4-5 mins. to install.

[Apologies to anyone who objects to this OT mailing]
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Franz Heymann 11-09-2003 09:32 PM

sequel to blaster worm

"Alan Gould" wrote in message

[...]

In view of the fact that there is a virus doing the rounds, (it tries to
attack me on average 1.5 times daily) which purports to come from Microsoft
and which includes an attachment which is said to cure something or other,
I will not avail myself of this advice, however good it might be, until I
hear from others who are brave enough to follow it.

Franz

Philip 11-09-2003 09:41 PM

sequel to blaster worm

Franz

This maybe OT for Uk.Rec.Gardening but, just use Tools ...Windows Update
from Internet Explorer. All official updates for Windows Products are
published there.

martin 11-09-2003 09:46 PM

sequel to blaster worm

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 20:23:19 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Alan Gould" wrote in message

[...]

If you have Win XP go to updates. There is a new critical update.
--
Martin

Stewart Robert Hinsley 11-09-2003 11:17 PM

sequel to blaster worm

In article , Franz Heymann notfranz.
writes

In view of the fact that there is a virus doing the rounds, (it tries to
attack me on average 1.5 times daily) which purports to come from Microsoft
and which includes an attachment which is said to cure something or other,
I will not avail myself of this advice, however good it might be, until I
hear from others who are brave enough to follow it.

There's a difference between downloading an official patch from
Microsoft, and executing an email attachment merely claiming to be a
patch (and in being in reality malware).

The vulnerability and patch don't apply to Windows 98 and some other old
versions of Windows.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Franz Heymann 11-09-2003 11:17 PM

sequel to blaster worm

In article , Franz Heymann notfranz.
writes

In view of the fact that there is a virus doing the rounds, (it tries to
attack me on average 1.5 times daily) which purports to come from

Microsoft
and which includes an attachment which is said to cure something or

other,
I will not avail myself of this advice, however good it might be, until I
hear from others who are brave enough to follow it.

There's a difference between downloading an official patch from
Microsoft, and executing an email attachment merely claiming to be a
patch (and in being in reality malware).

The vulnerability and patch don't apply to Windows 98 and some other old
versions of Windows.

Ah, well, I am running Windows 98 and have no intention of upgrading.
Do you really mean that later versions have newly introduced vulnerabilities
which did not exist on the older versions?

Franz

Alan Gould 12-09-2003 06:19 AM

sequel to blaster worm

In article , Franz Heymann notfranz.
writes

In view of the fact that there is a virus doing the rounds, (it tries to
attack me on average 1.5 times daily) which purports to come from Microsoft
and which includes an attachment which is said to cure something or other,
I will not avail myself of this advice, however good it might be, until I
hear from others who are brave enough to follow it.

The message to which I referred was a notice from Microsoft distributed
for them by Demon - and probably other ISPs. The URL gives direct access
to MS Windows Update where the patch can be downloaded and installed by
MS users. Its purpose is to protect against new developments of the
blaster worm. Uninvited e-mails purporting to be from Microsoft should
be deleted without opening.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 12-09-2003 07:11 AM

sequel to blaster worm

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

Ah, well, I am running Windows 98 and have no intention of upgrading.
Do you really mean that later versions have newly introduced vulnerabilities
which did not exist on the older versions?

Yes. Firstly, newer versions of Windows have additional features, which
provides additional opportunities for security holes. Secondly, it's
well known that fixing bugs results in the introduction of new bugs;
after enough work the number of bugs reaches a steady state. Thirdly,
any reimplementation, e.g. to speed up the s/w or make maintenance
easier, may introduce bugs.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

martin 12-09-2003 08:09 AM

sequel to blaster worm

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:18:25 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In article , Franz Heymann notfranz.
writes

In view of the fact that there is a virus doing the rounds, (it tries to
attack me on average 1.5 times daily) which purports to come from Microsoft
and which includes an attachment which is said to cure something or other,
I will not avail myself of this advice, however good it might be, until I
hear from others who are brave enough to follow it.

There's a difference between downloading an official patch from
Microsoft, and executing an email attachment merely claiming to be a
patch (and in being in reality malware).

I think Franz doesn't trust the URL.

The vulnerability and patch don't apply to Windows 98 and some other old
versions of Windows.

Older versions of Windows aren't supported by MS, so patches will not
be available for them, even if they are needed.
--
Martin

martin 12-09-2003 08:10 AM

sequel to blaster worm

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:33:59 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"

[...]

Yes.

Win 98 is not supported from 1-1-2004.
--
Martin

Franz Heymann 12-09-2003 08:49 AM

sequel to blaster worm

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

Ah, well, I am running Windows 98 and have no intention of upgrading.
Do you really mean that later versions have newly introduced

vulnerabilities
which did not exist on the older versions?

Yes. Firstly, newer versions of Windows have additional features, which
provides additional opportunities for security holes. Secondly, it's
well known that fixing bugs results in the introduction of new bugs;
after enough work the number of bugs reaches a steady state. Thirdly,
any reimplementation, e.g. to speed up the s/w or make maintenance
easier, may introduce bugs.

Thanks for the information. I am more convinced than ever that I don't need
any facilities which are not available in Windows 98.

Franz