GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Shed / lean-to question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/42881-shed-lean-question.html)

paul 12-09-2003 09:06 PM

Shed / lean-to question

Hi,

I am looking to build a shed \ lean-to onto the side of my detached
house. I was thinking of using timber , but someone mentioned that you
cannot attach timber sheds to your house. Does anyone know if this is
true ?

Also whats the max height without needing planning permission?

Thanks
in advance

Jaques d'Altrades 12-09-2003 11:43 PM

Shed / lean-to question

The message
from (paul) contains these words:

Hi,

I am looking to build a shed \ lean-to onto the side of my detached
house. I was thinking of using timber , but someone mentioned that you
cannot attach timber sheds to your house. Does anyone know if this is
true ?

Not true.

Also whats the max height without needing planning permission?

It differs. In our area (and probably others too), a flat or
shallow-pitched roof should be no higher than, IIRC, 11 feet, and a
ridged roof IIRC about 15 feet.

However, if the area of the shed exceeds a certain proportion of the
floor area of your house, and this figure I can't remember, even
roughly, you may require planning permission.

This is where the 'mustn't fix a wooden shed' bit might have been
misunderstood. If you leave a small gap between the shed and the house,
this used to make it a temporary structure.

Talk it over at your local planning department. They are usually very helpful.

--
Frère Jaques
They knocked the Bell down and erected a charade of pops.

Janet Baraclough 13-09-2003 06:42 PM

Shed / lean-to question

The message
from (paul) contains these words:

Hi,

I am looking to build a shed \ lean-to onto the side of my detached
house. I was thinking of using timber , but someone mentioned that you
cannot attach timber sheds to your house. Does anyone know if this is
true ?

Think of all those timber leanto structures called conservatories,
sunrooms, porches, etc.

Also whats the max height without needing planning permission?

Afaik height isn't as likely to be a deciding factor, as the fact of
being attached to the house; freestanding wooden sheds are usually
exempt from pp. Ring your local council's planning office and ask their
advice, it's free and that's what they are there for.

Janet.