GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   how soon can i mow over new grass? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/43209-how-soon-can-i-mow-over-new-grass.html)

MoJo 16-09-2003 04:24 PM

how soon can i mow over new grass?

I have planted some new grass in my lawn to cover up some bald spots.
Its been about 2 weeks now and the new grass has grown to about 2-3
inches. But the grass still seems thin and fragile. Is it OK to mow
over it now, maybe at the higest setting of the mower? I've never
dealt with new grass before and I'd appreciate any tips you can give
me.

Thanks.

Lyndon Thomas 16-09-2003 05:23 PM

how soon can i mow over new grass?

If you are using an electric mower it should be fine to mow over the new
grass, If its a petrol mower go around the new grass for a couple of weeks
as it could pull the new grass out.

om...

pied piper 18-09-2003 08:44 AM

how soon can i mow over new grass?

"MoJo" wrote in message
om...
I have planted some new grass in my lawn to cover up some bald spots.
Its been about 2 weeks now and the new grass has grown to about 2-3
inches. But the grass still seems thin and fragile. Is it OK to mow
over it now, maybe at the higest setting of the mower? I've never
dealt with new grass before and I'd appreciate any tips you can give
me.

Thanks.

always do the first few cuts with a rotary doesnt matter if thius is petrol
or electric a cylinder mower will pull the grass up

Tim Challenger 18-09-2003 09:15 AM

On 16 Sep 2003 08:20:10 -0700, MoJo wrote:

I have planted some new grass in my lawn to cover up some bald spots.
Its been about 2 weeks now and the new grass has grown to about 2-3
inches. But the grass still seems thin and fragile. Is it OK to mow
over it now, maybe at the higest setting of the mower? I've never
dealt with new grass before and I'd appreciate any tips you can give
me.

Thanks.

Make sure the mower blades are sharp so they cut rather than break/pull.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.