Old 16-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Robert

Default Leek damage

The leeks have been severely damaged this year rather than slightly
mutilated. I believe it is some sort of moth that does the damage on the
foliage and leaves them looking like a burnt out firework. Never used to
happen. Does anyone know how to prevent it please?

Robert
www.pafc.co.uk

Old 16-09-2003, 11:13 PM
Bob Hobden

"Robert" wrote in message ...
The leeks have been severely damaged this year rather than slightly
mutilated. I believe it is some sort of moth that does the damage on the
foliage and leaves them looking like a burnt out firework. Never used to
happen. Does anyone know how to prevent it please?

That's interesting Robert, where are you? The books, if they mention it at
all, say Leek Moth is restricted to the South Coast but we have had it in
the Staines area for years. What a mess it makes of the plants and they
never fully recover.
I have found that "Polysect" does the trick but you have to ensure it gets
down inside the centre of the plant where the caterpillars are. Derris Dust
also worked but I found it needed more than one thorough application, and
again, it must be dusted into the middle of the plant.

If you are an organic grower just give up growing Leeks or cut the tops off
level with the ground and burn them, the ones that survive will eventually
grow back into small to medium plants.

Check your Onions in store too, look for woodworm like holes where the
caterpillar emerged and then a tiny net like cocoon nearby. Those affected
will not store well.

You will have this pest every year now I'm afraid. Welcome to the club.
--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 16-09-2003, 11:32 PM
jane

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:09:47 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

~
~"Robert" wrote in message ...
~ The leeks have been severely damaged this year rather than slightly
~ mutilated. I believe it is some sort of moth that does the damage on the
~ foliage and leaves them looking like a burnt out firework. Never used to
~ happen. Does anyone know how to prevent it please?
~
~
~That's interesting Robert, where are you? The books, if they mention it at
~all, say Leek Moth is restricted to the South Coast but we have had it in
~the Staines area for years. What a mess it makes of the plants and they
~never fully recover.

Hmm I'd better keep a look out then: Staines isn't terribly far from the
Chilterns... ta for this warning. We don't have them... yet.

~I have found that "Polysect" does the trick but you have to ensure it gets
~down inside the centre of the plant where the caterpillars are. Derris Dust
~also worked but I found it needed more than one thorough application, and
~again, it must be dusted into the middle of the plant.
~
~If you are an organic grower just give up growing Leeks or cut the tops off
~level with the ground and burn them, the ones that survive will eventually
~grow back into small to medium plants.

Of course, depending on the size of the moth, you could use fleece or
enviromesh as a prevention.
http://www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english/...s/leekmoth.htm
says it's only 5-7mm long with a 12-15mm wingspan so normal netting which I
use for cabbage whites won't work, more's the pity. Looks like Enviromesh
(boo, hiss, as it's expensive) or recycled net curtains!

~
~Check your Onions in store too, look for woodworm like holes where the
~caterpillar emerged and then a tiny net like cocoon nearby. Those affected
~will not store well.
hmm hope they take a while to get up here.... this does not look nice.
~
~You will have this pest every year now I'm afraid. Welcome to the club.
Um. At this rate I'll have everything in the garden covered with some form
of netting by 2010.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 17-09-2003, 08:23 AM
Robert

jane wrote:
: On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:09:47 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
: wrote:
:
: ~
: ~"Robert" wrote in message ...
[...]
: club. Um. At this rate I'll have everything in the garden covered
: with some form of netting by 2010.

Thanks both, I am in Plymouth. We never used to have any trouble with leeks.
Then we got rust which now seems to have disappeared thank goodness but in
the last few years this pest has arrived. Usually the leeks grow out of it
but I doubt they will this year as they look a right mess

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Water Damage Clean up & Fire Damage Restoration ssammyy roy Gardening 0 19-05-2012 08:15 AM
Leek spacing? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 4 02-08-2003 09:02 PM
Leek seedlings? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 5 20-04-2003 11:23 PM
Leek seeds Alan Holmes United Kingdom 0 24-03-2003 03:44 PM
Leek query? Mary Fisher United Kingdom 0 19-10-2002 05:29 PM