Old 18-09-2003, 09:29 PM
Ian Myatt

Default Suspected Hedgehog droppings from a couple of months ago

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 07:15:56 GMT, Tim Challenger
"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote:

A few months ago I posted about trying to identify some droppings in the
garden.
Well a couple of uncomfortable evenings hiding near the veggie patch, the
culprits have been caught red-handed - or rather - red-bummed. And yes, it
was hedgehogs. A family of 3.

I have been putting normal cat-food out, but only a little just to tempt
them in to the garden, and as I only use such a little bit the rest often
goes bad before I can use it all up.

Does anyone know if they'll eat dried cat/kitten-food pellets if I mix them
with a bit of water or milk or something?
Is it good/bad for them?

Hello Tim.

I missed your original post, but was wondering if you could describe
the droppongs to me, as we also have some "mystery droppings" in our
garden.

Thanks

Ian

Old 19-09-2003, 08:04 AM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:07:51 GMT, Ian Myatt wrote:

[...]

Ian,
They look a little like a small, thin black-pudding. Quite firm, and not
squishy or runny.
They were black, around 4" long (somethimes shorter) and tapered at one end
and more or less straight, not curled or piled up. Around as thick as my
little finger, or a bit more than a pencil.

On closer examination when dried you can sometimes make out fragments of
beetle carapaces - which can make them look shiny when dry. But this isn't
always easy too see, especially if they're fresh.

It seems that normally HH droppings are a little smaller, and that caused a
bit of discussion.

If they are large and the tapered end is pointing up then it might be a
fox, someone said.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Old 19-09-2003, 08:18 AM
Tim Challenger

Thanks everyone for your helpful information.

After not having seen Mrs Tiggywinkle for ages, she was spotted after
gobbling up the food the other night. It was the first time my 4yo daughter
had actually seen a live one (only roadkill so far), she was over the moon.
I think I have a regular visiting youngster now, the adults seem to have
moved away or died.

Thanks again.

Old 19-09-2003, 09:56 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from (Ian Myatt) contains these words:

I missed your original post,

For the benefit of anyone who doesn't know, most newsgroup posts are
archived in www.groups/google. It's free for everyone. There's a good
help section to show you how to use the archive search engine which is
very simple and user friendly.

In this particular instance Ian could find the past discussion by
asking the search engine to look in urg and retrieve posts about
hedgehog pooh", or Tim's posting history.

HTH

Janet.