Old 17-09-2003, 06:44 PM
Sacha

Default Chocolate mint?

Some Americans have talked about chocolate mint. Can anyone tell me what
the botanic name is, please?
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 17-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Ron Clark

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:45:57 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Some Americans have talked about chocolate mint. Can anyone tell me what
the botanic name is, please?

Fry's Sandwich Bar

HTH HAND now

--
®óñ© © ²°°³
Old 17-09-2003, 08:35 PM
Victoria Clare

Sacha wrote in news:BB8E5C65.7DCB%
:

Some Americans have talked about chocolate mint. Can anyone tell me what
the botanic name is, please?

I've got some. It was just labelled 'choc mint' but from web searches I'd
concluded it is probably mentha piperita 'chocolate':

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com...achocolate.htm

Mine is still quite small, so I'm not 100% sure that is what I've got, but
it does smell rather like an After 8 mint, which meets the description.

It is noticeably more chocolatey in scent than my spearmint, peppermint, or
applemint (I have them all together so I can compare).

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Old 17-09-2003, 09:53 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Ron Clark
writes
wrote:

Some Americans have talked about chocolate mint. Can anyone tell me what
the botanic name is, please?

Fry's Sandwich Bar

HTH HAND now

Do they mean a mint or possibly the chocolate mint scented leaf
pelargonium?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 17-09-2003, 10:16 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Some Americans have talked about chocolate mint. Can anyone tell me what
the botanic name is, please?

Mentha aftereightica

--
Rusty Hinge
No m'lud, it wasn't a sneg. My joints creak.
Old 17-09-2003, 10:16 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

Victoria

You're in stereo.....

Old 17-09-2003, 11:43 PM

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:23:14 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Ron Clark
writes
wrote:

Some Americans have talked about chocolate mint. Can anyone tell me what
the botanic name is, please?

Fry's Sandwich Bar

HTH HAND now

Do they mean a mint or possibly the chocolate mint scented leaf
pelargonium?

I have some and as far as I can tell it is definitely a mint and it
definitely has more than a hint of the After Eight about it. From its
general appearance I would guess it is a cultivar of peppermint as
some others have already suggested, although the leaves have darker
veins and it seems to be rather less vigorous than common-or-garden
varieties.
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk
Old 17-09-2003, 11:43 PM
David Hill

".... Some Americans have talked about chocolate mint. Can anyone tell me
what the botanic name is, please? ........."

I am fairly sure it's Mentha citrata "Chocolate"

Not
Mentha aftereightica
Fry's Sandwich Bar
Mentha Cadburyensis
Etc.

David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Old 17-09-2003, 11:43 PM
Sacha

in article 1, Victoria
Clare at wrote on 17/9/03 8:18 pm:

Sacha wrote in news:BB8E5C65.7DCB%
:

Some Americans have talked about chocolate mint. Can anyone tell me what
the botanic name is, please?

I've got some. It was just labelled 'choc mint' but from web searches I'd
concluded it is probably mentha piperita 'chocolate':

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com...achocolate.htm

Mine is still quite small, so I'm not 100% sure that is what I've got, but
it does smell rather like an After 8 mint, which meets the description.

It is noticeably more chocolatey in scent than my spearmint, peppermint, or
applemint (I have them all together so I can compare).

Victoria

I'm told they can make a mint tea tasting of chocolate from this one!
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 23-09-2003, 12:28 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , David Hill
writes
".... Some Americans have talked about chocolate mint. Can anyone tell me
what the botanic name is, please? ........."

I am fairly sure it's Mentha citrata "Chocolate"

Not
Mentha aftereightica
Fry's Sandwich Bar
Mentha Cadburyensis
Etc.

Oh bother, can't we get them under the trade descriptions? I often think
that about plants that are labelled multiflora or fragrantissima surely
we have grounds

Saying that I have just bought a wonderful new viola called Columbine
(yes very confusing I know) It's really quite attractive with deep blue
streaked with white and pale blue markings.

It has a LOVELY scent!!

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Doug's mint - dougs-mint.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 06-08-2007 05:44 PM
Chocolate Cichlid Bob in PA Ponds 3 05-10-2003 06:32 PM
Advice re Chocolate Cosmos please Paul & Suzie Beckwith United Kingdom 6 03-08-2003 09:17 AM
how to make Almond Paste (Marzipan)?? SV: chocolate making Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:21 PM
SV: chocolate making -- Tempering Chocolate! Gary Pollack Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:21 PM