GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Trees, hieghts and distance (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/43398-trees-hieghts-distance.html)

Bob H 18-09-2003 07:12 PM

Trees, hieghts and distance

Hi,
we have a Sycamore tree in our fron garden which was there when we
bought this property, and it is approximately 15ft away from the house and
just taller than the chimney pots on the roof.

I know I can't do anything about the distance, but I can about the height.
We had it cut down to roofline level 2 years ago, but it has shot up since
then and needs cut back again.

What sort of acceptable height should it be?

Thanks

Bob H
Leeds UK

Nick Maclaren 18-09-2003 09:04 PM

Trees, hieghts and distance

In article ,
Bob H wrote:
Hi,
we have a Sycamore tree in our fron garden which was there when we
bought this property, and it is approximately 15ft away from the house and
just taller than the chimney pots on the roof.

I know I can't do anything about the distance, but I can about the height.
We had it cut down to roofline level 2 years ago, but it has shot up since
then and needs cut back again.

What sort of acceptable height should it be?

-2'. It is not a suitable tree for that distance from a house, and
probably had seeded itself. I would get rid of it completely, and
plant something more suitable. Even coppiced, its root system will
be extensive.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.