GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   thinning bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/43470-thinning-bamboo.html)

Niall Smyth 19-09-2003 11:24 AM

thinning bamboo

Hi all

I have a big bamboo that i want to thin heavily

Can I just use a secatuers at the base?
I dont fancy dividing the clumps!

What time of year is best?

I want it as a feature plant showing off its stems
but its like a bush now

Many thanks

Niall

---

PK 19-09-2003 11:43 AM

thinning bamboo

Niall Smyth wrote:
Hi all

I have a big bamboo that i want to thin heavily

Can I just use a secatuers at the base?

yes.

pk

Nick Maclaren 19-09-2003 12:07 PM

thinning bamboo

In article ,
"Niall Smyth" writes:

| I have a big bamboo that i want to thin heavily
|
| Can I just use a secatuers at the base?
| I dont fancy dividing the clumps!

Yup.

| What time of year is best?

Whenever. It doesn't matter.

| I want it as a feature plant showing off its stems
| but its like a bush now

Remember that its individual stems are short-lived, so you need
to remove the oldest ones and leave some of the youngest ones.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Niall Smyth 19-09-2003 12:25 PM

thinning bamboo

Hi Guys

Thanks for the quick response

BTW Could I seperate a clump and
put in a container (just 4-5 stems)

Thanks

Niall

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Niall Smyth" writes:

| I have a big bamboo that i want to thin heavily
|
| Can I just use a secatuers at the base?
| I dont fancy dividing the clumps!

Yup.

| What time of year is best?

Whenever. It doesn't matter.

Pam Moore 19-09-2003 02:02 PM

thinning bamboo

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:17:56 +0100, "Niall Smyth"
wrote:

BTW Could I seperate a clump and
put in a container (just 4-5 stems)

You can do that if you cut through the clump and ensure you have at
least one complete stem.
Could you not take off several small clumps and give them away or sell
them? You would have a very messy looking clump if you just cut it
down with secateurs.

Pam in Bristol

PK 19-09-2003 02:32 PM

thinning bamboo

wrote:

You would have a very messy looking clump if you just cut it

down with secateurs.

Cut as close to ground level and there is no problem - it's the technicue
used in Japan to get the right size/distibution/spacing of canes. After all
is is generally the central cane you want to remove not the new outer ones!

pk

tom 11-04-2005 10:10 PM

Niall Once you have split it would you consider giving some of the
clump away? I would be very greatful