Old 20-09-2003, 09:32 AM
martin

Default Tree Surgeon Cost ?

How much should i be paying for a tree surgeon? I've got two very large
Poplar Trees - one I want felling, and one I want cut to at least half its
height.

I've got two quotes: £700+VAT, and £350+VAT.

Why such a difference? I dont want to pay over the odds..and i dont want
some cheap cowboy either.

Old 20-09-2003, 11:14 AM
Peter Crosland

Ask them both for references and also ask to see their insurance policies.

Old 20-09-2003, 11:14 AM
Marge

I had about 12 leylandii felled, all about 20 feet high. Cost £150. I
suppose it depends on where you live (I'm in NW England), and perhaps it
depends on the tree being felled, but both your quotes sound incredibly
high.

Old 20-09-2003, 11:14 AM
P&J

Our neighbour paid approx 100 pounds to have our 30ft ish tree chopped
down. We're in the Northern part of England.

PJ

Old 20-09-2003, 12:32 PM
PK

Marge wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
How much should I be paying for a tree surgeon? I've got two very
large Poplar Trees - one I want felling, and one I want cut to at
least half its height.

I've got two quotes: £700+VAT, and £350+VAT.

Why such a difference? I dont want to pay over the odds..and i dont
want some cheap cowboy either.

I had about 12 leylandii felled, all about 20 feet high. Cost £150.
I suppose it depends on where you live (I'm in NW England), and
perhaps it depends on the tree being felled, but both your quotes
sound incredibly high.

How high are the poplars? Will they be "felled" or taken down piecemeal with
the upper sections being cut and lowered? Will ground below need to be
protected from falling chunks of tree?

Taking out/reducing something as big as I suspect your poplars are is a
major job for several guys.

I'm about to have a 40ft walnut tree crown lifted and thinned, the branches
will need to be lowered by ropes and pulleys to protect the garden areas and
fence below. (Suburban garden SW london) A year ago I was quoted £400plus
vat from a surgeon I use professionally and who get a lot of work form my
recommendations so the rate to me was "good".

Always difficult with only 2 quotes, try a third. I wouldn't be surprised to
see it somewhere in the middle. £350 sounds like it might be on the low
side, 700 a little on the high side.

Hope that helps.

pk

Old 21-09-2003, 12:05 AM
ned

martin wrote:
How much should i be paying for a tree surgeon? I've got two very
large Poplar Trees - one I want felling, and one I want cut to at
least half its height.

I've got two quotes: £700+VAT, and £350+VAT.

Why such a difference? I dont want to pay over the odds..and i dont
want some cheap cowboy either.

Ask around and try to get a recommendation.
I don't know if tree surgeon qualifications are easy to forge but
there are some well qualified butchers about. The trouble with these
trade quals is that you never know who to verify them with.

--
ned

Old 21-09-2003, 02:02 PM
bnd777

"martin" wrote in message
How much should i be paying for a tree surgeon? I've got two very large
Poplar Trees - one I want felling, and one I want cut to at least half its
height.

I've got two quotes: £700+VAT, and £350+VAT.

Why such a difference? I dont want to pay over the odds..and i dont want
some cheap cowboy either.

£350 +VAT would be the going rate throughout Berkshire

---

Old 21-09-2003, 02:42 PM
David Hill

"........ How much should I be paying for a tree surgeon? I've got two very
large Poplar Trees - one I want felling, and one I want cut to at least half
its
height.

I've got two quotes: £700+VAT, and £350+VAT.

Why such a difference? I don't want to pay over the odds..and I don't want
some cheap cowboy either...."

This is almost like asking "I have 2 pieces of string, which should I use
to tie up this parcel?"

Which ever just make sure they carry sufficient Insurance.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 22-09-2003, 03:23 PM
Dave Painter

"martin" wrote in message
How much should i be paying for a tree surgeon? I've got two very large
Poplar Trees - one I want felling, and one I want cut to at least half its
height.

I've got two quotes: £700+VAT, and £350+VAT.

Why such a difference? I dont want to pay over the odds..and i dont want
some cheap cowboy either.

How busy are they?
If one is working flat out with no sign of a break for three months,
then I for one would add a 'premium' to your quote.
If you accept it then I work you in to the schedule and delay some of my
'less profitable' work.

Called the law of supply and demand.

But check that
1) They are both doing the same job. One could be leaving you to dispose of
old wood.

2) They are both fully insured

3) How many people/days they expect the job to take.

HTH

Dave