Old 21-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Pam Moore

Default Grape vine cuttings advice wanted

Further to my query about grape vines (thanks to all who gave advice)
has anyone successfully taken cuttings from mature vines?
I think my Black Hamburg is too big to be moved but I'd like to
propogate some cuttings. I have tried following advice in books in
the past to no avail.
Any advice please or pointers to good books / articles.
TIA

Pam in Bristol
Old 21-09-2003, 08:33 PM
David Rance

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Pam Moore wrote:

Further to my query about grape vines (thanks to all who gave advice)
has anyone successfully taken cuttings from mature vines?
I think my Black Hamburg is too big to be moved but I'd like to
propogate some cuttings. I have tried following advice in books in
the past to no avail.

Take cuttings between December and February when the sap is at its
lowest. Choose one foot lengths of the newest growths. They have to be
about the thickness of a pencil - no thinner. Trim them to just below a
leaf node at the bottom and just above one at the top. Put them in the
ground so that about three to four inches show. Leave them there for a
year, possibly two. Then plant them in their final positions.

Take plenty of cuttings. Most of them should grow but if you have plenty
then you can afford to have a few failures. Vine cuttings are about the
easiest thing I know to propagate.

Do not take cuttings from immature wood, nor from wood which is more
than a year old. The wood should look a nut brown colour. If you do this
you should have success.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 21-09-2003, 10:17 PM
Franz Heymann

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Further to my query about grape vines (thanks to all who gave advice)
has anyone successfully taken cuttings from mature vines?
I think my Black Hamburg is too big to be moved but I'd like to
propogate some cuttings. I have tried following advice in books in
the past to no avail.
Any advice please or pointers to good books / articles.
TIA

I am most surprised. An uncle of mine once stuck about 200 1 ft leafless
cuttings in the open ground in the autumn. In the following summer, *every*
*single* *one* of them had taken. And that was before the days of rooting
hormones.

Franz

Old 22-09-2003, 03:52 AM
Dwayne

Pam, when I prune my grape vines in February, I pick out cuttings with at
least 4 buds on them. I plant them in a flower pot with two buds in the
ground and two sticking out. Then I try to water them at least once a week
as long as that isn't keeping them too wet. As long as I am able to do
that, I am OK and get good results.

An easier way is to lay a vine on the ground and put a handful of dirt on
several buds. Leave it along for several months (till Fall), cut them
between buds, dig them up where the roots have formed, and transplant them.

Dwayne