Old 23-09-2003, 02:12 PM
John Edgar

Default Frosts

Does anyone know the differences between frost, air frost and ground
frost and the implication each has for plants.

Thanks John.
John
In limine sapientiae
Old 23-09-2003, 03:02 PM
JennyC

"John Edgar" wrote in message
Does anyone know the differences between frost, air frost and ground
frost and the implication each has for plants.

Thanks John.
John

Good old auntie Beeb :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feature...cs_frost.shtml

Jenny "~)

Old 23-09-2003, 05:33 PM
John Edgar

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:48:01 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

"John Edgar" wrote in message
.. .
Does anyone know the differences between frost, air frost and ground
frost and the implication each has for plants.

Thanks John.
John

Good old auntie Beeb :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feature...cs_frost.shtml

Jenny "~)

Ta, I'll have a look
John
John
In limine sapientiae
Old 23-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:12:31 +0100, John Edgar wrote:

Does anyone know the differences between frost, air frost and ground
frost and the implication each has for plants.

The beeb link already posted is good. In relation to plants a ground
frost is probably the worse as that is temperature measured at ground
level near foliage and *generally* speaking you'll get a ground frost
forming before the actual air temperature has reached 0C.

We had a moderate ground frost last night, still unthawed in the shade
at 0900 despite bright clear sunshine since dawn (0730) and the air
temp rising from 0.8C to 8C in those 1 1/2hrs.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 23-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Alan Gould

In article , John Edgar
writes
Does anyone know the differences between frost, air frost and ground
frost and the implication each has for plants.

As I understand it, air frost is freezing or frozen mist and ground
frost is freezing or frozen dew. Both are more dangerous if wind is
blowing and both vary in volume with humidity.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 23-09-2003, 10:35 PM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , John Edgar
writes
Does anyone know the differences between frost, air frost and ground
frost and the implication each has for plants.

As I understand it, air frost is freezing or frozen mist and ground
frost is freezing or frozen dew. Both are more dangerous if wind is
blowing and both vary in volume with humidity.

I thought air frost occurs when the temperature of the air falls below zero
and ground frost occurs when the temperature of the soil falls below zero.

Franz

Old 24-09-2003, 01:05 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

I thought air frost occurs when the temperature of the air falls below zero
and ground frost occurs when the temperature of the soil falls below zero.

You are correct.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 24-09-2003, 01:21 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:21:45 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

I don't go by air frost/ground frost. I go by car frost, ie when
you have to scrape it off the windscreens. First one today :-((

That would be air frost.

No, technically it is a ground frost, ie a frost forming on a surface
due to that surafce radiating heat and cooling below freezing.

An air frost is when the temperature of the air in an standard
stephenson screen (ie 1m above mown grass) is = 0C. Ground frosts can
and do form with the air temperature well above 0C.

Look back for that link to the BBC, it explains things very well.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 24-09-2003, 11:02 PM
WasTa

precisely

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , John Edgar
writes
Does anyone know the differences between frost, air frost and ground
frost and the implication each has for plants.

As I understand it, air frost is freezing or frozen mist and ground
frost is freezing or frozen dew. Both are more dangerous if wind is
blowing and both vary in volume with humidity.

I thought air frost occurs when the temperature of the air falls below

zero
and ground frost occurs when the temperature of the soil falls below zero.

Franz

---