GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT perhaps, but please identify amphibian or reptile (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/43914-ot-perhaps-but-please-identify-amphibian-reptile.html)

Joe 24-09-2003 04:08 AM

OT perhaps, but please identify amphibian or reptile

Hi

Thanks for your interest. I came across an unusual garden visitor last
night (22 Sept) and I am unable to identify it through any of my books.
It looks like a gecko, but I don't think there are any indigenous gecko
species in Britain. I guess it must be a newt, but is it? Can you
help? I loaded a couple of pictures he

http://www.harlon.pwp.blueyonder.co....en/ident01.htm

Many thanks.
--
Joe Farrugia, London

Bigjon 24-09-2003 04:08 AM

OT perhaps, but please identify amphibian or reptile

Joe declared:

Hi

Thanks for your interest. I came across an unusual garden visitor last
night (22 Sept) and I am unable to identify it through any of my books.
It looks like a gecko, but I don't think there are any indigenous gecko
species in Britain. I guess it must be a newt, but is it? Can you
help? I loaded a couple of pictures he

http://www.harlon.pwp.blueyonder.co....en/ident01.htm

Many thanks.

If your thinking it's NOT a newt, it could only really be a young common
lizard...
http://www.threadnaught.net/~caleb/uksauria.html
but I doubt it !
--
You can't have it all -
Where would you put it ?

Kase 24-09-2003 08:32 AM

OT perhaps, but please identify amphibian or reptile

"Joe" wrote in message
. ..
Hi

Thanks for your interest. I came across an unusual garden visitor last
night (22 Sept) and I am unable to identify it through any of my books.
It looks like a gecko, but I don't think there are any indigenous gecko
species in Britain. I guess it must be a newt, but is it? Can you
help? I loaded a couple of pictures he

http://www.harlon.pwp.blueyonder.co....en/ident01.htm

Many thanks.
--
Joe Farrugia, London

Interesting, I found one of these in my parents garden in South Yorkshire
about 18 years ago. It was so alien to me that (being a child) I caught it
and kept it in a box for a couple of days before letting it go unharmed but
probably a bit hungry. I never did find out what it was, just thought it was
a lizard, never thought it might not be native.

Kay Easton 24-09-2003 09:22 AM

OT perhaps, but please identify amphibian or reptile

In article , Joe
writes
Hi

Thanks for your interest. I came across an unusual garden visitor last
night (22 Sept) and I am unable to identify it through any of my books.
It looks like a gecko, but I don't think there are any indigenous gecko
species in Britain. I guess it must be a newt, but is it?

Yes.

Can you
help? I loaded a couple of pictures he

http://www.harlon.pwp.blueyonder.co....en/ident01.htm

Many thanks.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Tim Challenger 24-09-2003 10:22 AM

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 02:19:49 +0100, Joe wrote:

Hi

Thanks for your interest. I came across an unusual garden visitor last
night (22 Sept) and I am unable to identify it through any of my books.
It looks like a gecko, but I don't think there are any indigenous gecko
species in Britain. I guess it must be a newt, but is it? Can you
help? I loaded a couple of pictures he
http://www.harlon.pwp.blueyonder.co....en/ident01.htm
Many thanks.

It's relatively easy to tell a reptile and amphibian apart.
Reptiles have scales on their skin (can be soft as on a geko or hard as on
a snake or slow-worm or tortoise), whereas amphibians don't have scales.

It looks like a female smooth newt to me.
http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/smooth_newt.htm
and see the photo at the bottom.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

Jaques d'Altrades 24-09-2003 08:23 PM

OT perhaps, but please identify amphibian or reptile

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:
In article , Joe
writes
Hi

Thanks for your interest. I came across an unusual garden visitor last
night (22 Sept) and I am unable to identify it through any of my books.
It looks like a gecko, but I don't think there are any indigenous gecko
species in Britain. I guess it must be a newt, but is it?

Yes.

Female smooth newt. Males are darker and have a more orange spotted
belly. In the spring, when they are in randy mode, they are black, with
a prominent crest and a bright orange belly. Very handsome. The females
look much the same all year round.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

David Hill 24-09-2003 10:32 PM

OT perhaps, but please identify amphibian or reptile

"..........It looks like a female smooth newt to me........"

So it's not the famous "Pistasa Newt"
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Tim Challenger 25-09-2003 08:03 AM

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:14:25 +0100, David Hill wrote:

"..........It looks like a female smooth newt to me........"

So it's not the famous "Pistasa Newt"

Oh, I wish I'd thought of that one ! LOL.