Old 24-09-2003, 03:02 PM
JK

Default is this a good time to lay turf?

I want to extend our lawn. Is this a good time of year to lay turf, or
should I wait til spring now?

TIA

John

Old 24-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Lyndon Thomas

You can lay turf at any time John. But you will have to water it daily if we
dont get any decent rainfall or it will shrink and you will get gaps all
across your lawn.
Lyndon

Old 24-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article 3f71ad19.0@entanet, "Lyndon Thomas" writes:
| You can lay turf at any time John. But you will have to water it daily if we
| dont get any decent rainfall or it will shrink and you will get gaps all
| across your lawn.

However, now is a good time to do it, because it will have all
autumn, winter and spring to establish roots before next summer.
In fact, now is perhaps the ideal time.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-09-2003, 05:42 PM
PK

writes:
You can lay turf at any time John. But you will have to water it
daily if we dont get any decent rainfall or it will shrink and you
will get gaps all across your lawn.

However, now is a good time to do it, because it will have all
autumn, winter and spring to establish roots before next summer.
In fact, now is perhaps the ideal time.

Agreed.....IF the 'drought' breaks. If not then make sure the ground below
the turf is heavily watered a day of so before laying to get water into the
rooting zone (a couple of days to let the surface dry enough to work on)

pk

Old 24-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Victoria Clare

"PK" wrote in
:

writes:
You can lay turf at any time John. But you will have to water it
daily if we dont get any decent rainfall or it will shrink and you
will get gaps all across your lawn.

However, now is a good time to do it,

Agreed.....IF the 'drought' breaks.

Do I deduce that out there somewhere across the Tamar there is a drought?

Can I have some please???

I'll send you some rainclouds by return of post... :-)

Victoria amid the mists and fogs
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Old 24-09-2003, 06:22 PM
PK

Victoria Clare wrote:
"PK" wrote in
:
Agreed.....IF the 'drought' breaks.

Do I deduce that out there somewhere across the Tamar there is a
drought?

Can I have some please???

I'll send you some rainclouds by return of post... :-)

Victoria amid the mists and fogs

First decent rain for months yesterday in SW london. We've had some in the
past few weeks but not much. I laid some paving last week, excavating
20/25cm, and the soil to that depth was dust dry!

We need a week of soild rain to make much difference!

pk

Old 24-09-2003, 08:24 PM
Natalie

"
Agreed.....IF the 'drought' breaks.

Do I deduce that out there somewhere across the Tamar there is a drought?

Can I have some please???

I'll send you some rainclouds by return of post... :-)

Victoria amid the mists and fogs
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
--

Typically the only rain we've had in North London was on Monday afternoon.
My after school Environment Club had to spend most of the time indoors

Natalie

Old 24-09-2003, 09:32 PM
subbykins{Chrd}

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:23:20 +0100, "Natalie"
wrote:

Typically the only rain we've had in North London was on Monday afternoon.
My after school Environment Club had to spend most of the time indoors
:-( But I was glad the garden got a little water but it still isn't really
enough.

Natalie

I agree, I've just planted some bulbs after the rain and apart from
the top inch or so the ground is completely dry. It has absolutely
b*ggered our brick built shed which now has serious subsidence and
will have to be torn down and rebuilt. Bah! Can anyone recommend a
good builder that doesn't charge the earth in East London?

"The only time you don't fail is the last time you try anything -- and it
works."

- William Strong

subbykins{Chrd}
Old 24-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Tumbleweed

writes:
| You can lay turf at any time John. But you will have to water it daily

if we
| dont get any decent rainfall or it will shrink and you will get gaps

all
| across your lawn.

However, now is a good time to do it, because it will have all
autumn, winter and spring to establish roots before next summer.
In fact, now is perhaps the ideal time.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

And less likely you'll be out there treading on it as well.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 24-09-2003, 11:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"PK" wrote in message
Victoria Clare wrote:
"PK" wrote in
:
Agreed.....IF the 'drought' breaks.

Do I deduce that out there somewhere across the Tamar there is a
drought?

Can I have some please???

I'll send you some rainclouds by return of post... :-)

Victoria amid the mists and fogs

First decent rain for months yesterday in SW london. We've had some in the
past few weeks but not much. I laid some paving last week, excavating
20/25cm, and the soil to that depth was dust dry!

We need a week of soild rain to make much difference!

I have an Arolla pine which is browning because of lack of water. In the
North Yorks Dales!

Franz

Old 25-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Aphodius

"Nick Maclaren" wrote:.

However, now is a good time to do it, because it will have all
autumn, winter and spring to establish roots before next summer.
In fact, now is perhaps the ideal time.
---

I agree! An extensive lawned area around a showhouse very near my house was
laid just three weeks ago. It now resembles a bowling green, I can't even
see the joins.

Aphodius

Old 25-09-2003, 09:46 PM
JK

"JK" wrote in message
I want to extend our lawn. Is this a good time of year to lay turf, or
should I wait til spring now?

TIA

John

Thanks to all for all your advice - I'll crack on then!