GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Climbing French Beans - making a come back (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/43971-climbing-french-beans-making-come-back.html)

WasTa 24-09-2003 10:12 PM

Climbing French Beans - making a come back

My CFB's cropped prolifically late July to 1st week of August then stopped
abruptly (compared to the past two autumns when they cropped to early
November) - due to the drought. However, with some watering and recent
rains, they have now started again. So always worth hanging on to.

Trevor East Yorkshire

---

Bob Hobden 24-09-2003 11:12 PM

Trevor wrote in message
My CFB's cropped prolifically late July to 1st week of August then stopped
abruptly (compared to the past two autumns when they cropped to early
November) - due to the drought. However, with some watering and recent
rains, they have now started again. So always worth hanging on to.

Yes ours were the same, and the Runner Beans too, but didn't last night's
frost do for them? Ours don't look so good today and there's another frost
tonight.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Nick Maclaren 25-09-2003 09:30 AM

Climbing French Beans - making a come back

In article ,
"WasTa" writes:
| My CFB's cropped prolifically late July to 1st week of August then stopped
| abruptly (compared to the past two autumns when they cropped to early
| November) - due to the drought. However, with some watering and recent
| rains, they have now started again. So always worth hanging on to.

I am planning to make a larger climbing frame and do more of them
next year; this is not the first year they have done a lot better
than the dwarf varieties for me. In particular, most of the latter
seem to be bred for cropping once, as you also observe.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick Maclaren 25-09-2003 09:31 AM

Nick Maclaren 25-09-2003 09:31 AM

WasTa 25-09-2003 06:44 PM

Climbing French Beans - making a come back

Yes ours were the same, and the Runner Beans too, but didn't last night's
frost do for them?
--

nope, even the busy lizzies survived

Trevor

East Yorkshire

---

WasTa 25-09-2003 06:44 PM

Climbing French Beans - making a come back

I never bother with the dwarf ones. The climbing and more
economical/productive on space, and are far less likely re stringiness

Trevor

East Yorkshire