GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT Humming bird moths (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/44041-ot-humming-bird-moths.html)

Sacha 25-09-2003 01:42 PM

OT Humming bird moths

I'm delighted to report we have just seen *4* of these on Salvia involucrata
planted in a sunny border. I don't think there has been one day in at least
a month, when this plant hasn't been visited by these fascinating creatures.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Martin Brown 25-09-2003 06:12 PM

OT Humming bird moths

In message , Sacha
writes
I'm delighted to report we have just seen *4* of these on Salvia involucrata
planted in a sunny border. I don't think there has been one day in at least
a month, when this plant hasn't been visited by these fascinating creatures.

Seems to have been a very good year for them and for lots of butterflies
in general. Most of our nectar bearing plants have been covered.

Sedum spectabile is pretty good for extending their season, but I fear
the last couple of nights with frosts may see them off.

Unfortunately humming bird hawkmoths are incredibly fast and hard to
photograph so I still don't have a decent image of one. The closest is
in focus but half way out of the frame :(

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Sacha 26-09-2003 12:18 AM

OT Humming bird moths

in article , Martin Brown at
wrote on 25/9/03 3:52 pm:

In message , Sacha
writes
I'm delighted to report we have just seen *4* of these on Salvia involucrata
planted in a sunny border. I don't think there has been one day in at least
a month, when this plant hasn't been visited by these fascinating creatures.

Seems to have been a very good year for them and for lots of butterflies
in general. Most of our nectar bearing plants have been covered.

snip

Perhaps because we're in S. Devon ours might go on longer. I do hope so.
They are the most fascinating creatures to watch.
Sadly though, the swallows are gathering. ;-(
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sacha 26-09-2003 12:32 AM