Old 25-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Sacha

Default OT Humming bird moths

I'm delighted to report we have just seen *4* of these on Salvia involucrata
planted in a sunny border. I don't think there has been one day in at least
a month, when this plant hasn't been visited by these fascinating creatures.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 25-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Sacha
writes
I'm delighted to report we have just seen *4* of these on Salvia involucrata
planted in a sunny border. I don't think there has been one day in at least
a month, when this plant hasn't been visited by these fascinating creatures.

Seems to have been a very good year for them and for lots of butterflies
in general. Most of our nectar bearing plants have been covered.

Sedum spectabile is pretty good for extending their season, but I fear
the last couple of nights with frosts may see them off.

Unfortunately humming bird hawkmoths are incredibly fast and hard to
photograph so I still don't have a decent image of one. The closest is
in focus but half way out of the frame

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Humming bird hawk moth Sacha[_11_] United Kingdom 1 20-08-2013 09:00 AM
Ping Pat - Humming Bird Chicks Wendy7 Garden Photos 6 22-04-2010 05:37 AM
Fem humming bird by feeder looking right at me Padraig Garden Photos 1 07-12-2006 05:59 PM
The moths, the moths pete Permaculture 6 14-12-2003 05:42 AM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM