GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lily of the Valley (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/44055-lily-valley.html)

Leslie Stringer 25-09-2003 06:12 PM

Lily of the Valley

Could someone please advise me when is the best time to plant Lily of the
Valley? I believed that it would be about now. However, I am unable to find
any bulbs in any of the local garden centres.

Is there a mail order supplier who can supply these?

Janet Sanderson 25-09-2003 08:15 PM

Lily of the Valley

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:07:54 +0100, "Leslie Stringer"
wrote:

Could someone please advise me when is the best time to plant Lily of the
Valley? I believed that it would be about now. However, I am unable to find
any bulbs in any of the local garden centres.

Is there a mail order supplier who can supply these?

Mine grows like crazy by our back door. if all else fails will send
you a clump.
Janet
PS our back door is by drain, north facing, in shade most of time. It
grows so fast actually broke the drain!

Arklay 26-09-2003 11:11 AM

Lily of the Valley

In the garden centre i work in we dont get it in until about february for
some reason... not quite sure why as all other spring flowering bulbs are in
stock now....

Nick Maclaren 26-09-2003 11:11 AM

Lily of the Valley

In article ,
Janet Sanderson writes:
| On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:07:54 +0100, "Leslie Stringer"
| wrote:
|
| Could someone please advise me when is the best time to plant Lily of the
| Valley? I believed that it would be about now. However, I am unable to find
| any bulbs in any of the local garden centres.
|
| Is there a mail order supplier who can supply these?
|
| Mine grows like crazy by our back door. if all else fails will send
| you a clump.

Ditto. If the poster lives near Cambridge, please ask me for a
supply of roots :-)

| PS our back door is by drain, north facing, in shade most of time. It
| grows so fast actually broke the drain!

Yes. Mine has colonised a shaded bed and I treat it half like a
weed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jane Ransom 26-09-2003 03:12 PM

Lily of the Valley

In article , Leslie
Stringer writes
Could someone please advise me when is the best time to plant Lily of the
Valley? I believed that it would be about now. However, I am unable to find
any bulbs in any of the local garden centres.

Don't plant it unless you can contain it or it will be over your whole
garden before you can turn round :((
I must chuck out loads of it every spring, I'll let you have some if you
want!!!!!!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Steve Harris 26-09-2003 04:15 PM

Lily of the Valley

In article ,
(Jane Ransom) wrote:

Don't plant it unless you can contain it or it will be over your whole
garden before you can turn round :((

I managed to kill mine without trying .....

Lee and Kath 28-09-2003 11:13 AM

Lily of the Valley

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 16:13 +0100 (BST), (Steve Harris) wrote:

In article ,

(Jane Ransom) wrote:

Don't plant it unless you can contain it or it will be over your whole
garden before you can turn round :((

I managed to kill mine without trying .....

Ditto! I have tried all sorts of things to make mine thrive. I still only have 3 measly plants. What
soil do they like?

Kath

Jaques d'Altrades 28-09-2003 02:02 PM

Lily of the Valley

The message
from Lee and Kath contains these words:

Ditto! I have tried all sorts of things to make mine thrive. I still
only have 3 measly plants. What
soil do they like?

Damp, shaded clay with an overlay of lefmould - and they go wild.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Nick Maclaren 28-09-2003 03:02 PM

Lily of the Valley

(Jane Ransom) wrote:

Don't plant it unless you can contain it or it will be over your whole
garden before you can turn round :((

I managed to kill mine without trying .....

Ditto! I have tried all sorts of things to make mine thrive. I still only have 3 measly plants. What
soil do they like?

Dunno, but they like half shade.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Kay Easton 28-09-2003 09:32 PM

Lily of the Valley

In article , Lee and Kath
writes

(Jane Ransom) wrote:

Don't plant it unless you can contain it or it will be over your whole
garden before you can turn round :((

I managed to kill mine without trying .....

Ditto! I have tried all sorts of things to make mine thrive. I still only have 3
measly plants. What
soil do they like?

Damp clay, if Leeds is anything to go by. And shade. They're rapidly
colonising the area under a Magnolia stellata.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Steve Harris 29-09-2003 04:32 AM

Lily of the Valley

In article ,
(Jaques d'Altrades) wrote:

Damp, shaded clay

Ah! I gave mine dry, shaded sand.

Steve Harris 29-09-2003 04:32 AM

Lily of the Valley

Steve Harris 29-09-2003 04:33 AM

Lily of the Valley

Steve Harris 29-09-2003 04:33 AM

Lily of the Valley

Nick Maclaren 29-09-2003 09:32 AM

Lily of the Valley

(Jaques d'Altrades) wrote:

| Damp, shaded clay
|
| Ah! I gave mine dry, shaded sand.

Mine is on such soil, but the area is wet in winter and spring.
Like many bulbs, lily of the valley doesn't mind drying out in
summer and autumn.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.