Old 28-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Tim Ward

Default Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

"Tim Denning" timdenning@spam this you **** blueyonder.co.uk wrote in
message ...
snip
My cousin has a two of those seagoing containers in his garden to
house his collection of antique motorcycles and the workshop that
goes with them.

But they look awfull, unless you put a wood frame around and clad it.
Which may be feasible.

As has been mentioned planning permision would more than likely be

required,
I'd be wary though, if you stride into the planning office asking for
permission to build an office in the back garden then the answer will
probably be no. A garden room, studio or the like would probably be better
recieved.

Might depend where you live. If you were to claim that the garden office
would take one car-borne commuter off the roads, as you would then be able
to work at home, that would score *lots* of brownie points in some
locations.

--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Brett Ward Ltd - www.brettward.co.uk

Old 28-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Tim Ward

"Sad Sid" . wrote in message

If I were to be paid I would probably ask for payment in UKP - not a
standard I invented but one, which, in the days when I worked for a living
(long before the days of ISO standards), was the standard used when
communicating with the USA (who were more used to USD)

You might be remembering "UKL" which is what the banks used before "GBP".

Old 28-09-2003, 09:33 PM
Ben Blaney

William.R.Reisen wrote:

I am thinking about getting a garden office

http://www.c-pod.com/cpod/main_page.htm

--
Ben Blaney
Must try harder
Old 28-09-2003, 10:03 PM
Mary Fisher

You think pensioners have time to spare???????

You wait!

Don't have to wait - I ama a pensioner. I have little spare time because I
love to do projects for my nighbours - without fee of course!

What about your own projects which have been hanging fire for years - to say
nothing of the new ones you've just thought about?

I'm neither sad nor thick -

I wouldn't have dreamed of suggesting that!

in the days when computers had
green screens....

I remember them well. We still have one in fact ...

Mary

Old 28-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Old Codger

"Tim Denning" timdenning@spam this you ****
blueyonder.co.uk wrote in message

As has been mentioned planning permission would more than

likely be
required,

I don't believe planning permission is required for a garden
shed or a summer house. It is surprising the uses there are
for a good summer house.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

What matters in politics is not what happens, but what you
can make people believe has happened. [Janet Daley
27/8/2003]

Old 28-09-2003, 11:33 PM
David

So, despite the existence of "GBP" which has unambiguous meaning worldwide
on any documents written in any language, someone goes and invents "UKP",
which on the day they invented it meant nothing to anybody other than
themselves. Why??

Because they can.
Because they want to.

I have done it. So what ? Not everyone is au-fait or cares about ISO
codes anyhow, including some of the banks judging by the state of
their FX software.
Dave
Old 29-09-2003, 12:27 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Tim Ward" contains these words:

But someone must have invented it for some reason.

UKP and USD have been around for donkeys years in usenet and email.

I thought the reason was

A) to distinguish UKP from USD, for systems which cobble up £ and $ signs,
B) for readers who don't notice the difference between £ and $
C) to distinguish UK pounds and US dollars from pund and dollar
currencies elsewhere.

Janet

Old 29-09-2003, 12:38 AM
N. Thornton

"Tim Ward" wrote in message ...
"Stephen Kellett" wrote in message

Good grief Tim, you are over-analysing way too much. I've seen UKP used
before, it hasn't been invented to make a political stand.

But someone must have invented it for some reason.

It makes no sense to go round inventing currency codes when there are
already perfectly good standard ones - write an invented private one of your
own on a bank document, for example, and it won't work. I guess people do
rather less of this in everyday life now that cash cards have replaced
Eurocheques, so not everybody carries the leaflet with the codes in their
wallet any more, but the things are still in common enough usage that one
can be expected to know the code for one's own currency!

So, despite the existence of "GBP" which has unambiguous meaning worldwide
on any documents written in any language, someone goes and invents "UKP",
which on the day they invented it meant nothing to anybody other than
themselves. Why??

Because its the first thing someone thought of when they wrote it.
Doesnt matter to me if its GBP, UKP, LSD or £. No, not that LSD.

Regards, NT

Old 29-09-2003, 01:05 AM

In uk.d-i-y Huge wrote:

Because the ISO are looking to charge for use of such codes, and it's
not worth the risking the licensing costs?

Yeah. Right. Buy better drugs.

Bizarre though it sounds, the relevant sub-vomittee (a typo, but too
appropriate to correct) of ISO *has* made an ill-judged and (hopefully)
ill-phrased pronouncement about collecting "database publishing charges"
on the *use* of (maybe only complete and up-to-date collections of?)
two-letter country codes. Yes, like in geographical top-level domains.
Yes, like in MIME tags for languages on web pages.

Clue-by-fours are being vigorously administered by the W3C, ICANN, and
other bodies representing (some aspects of) the interests of Net users.
There's probably a suitably incredulous article by John Leyden at
theregister.co.uk by now...

Just remember - in international standardisation bodies as in party
politics, just because an idea is patently loony on its face doesn't
mean it won't get proposed in all apparent seriousness...

Stefek, driftin' along, aiming as always to both entertain and inform ;-)
Old 29-09-2003, 01:05 AM
Jim Lawton

OK, this tells us what the market is currently like. One of the longest threads
we've had for some time, and it's about *sheds* :-)

Old 29-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Sad Sid

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
What about your own projects which have been hanging fire for years - to

say
nothing of the new ones you've just thought about?

I've just finished digging 900ft of ditch, laying drainage pipes, an
alkathene water pipe with five stand points, and installing an armoured
garden ring-main with IP65 sockets.
I am currently building a 20ft by 20ft fruit cage, containing raised beds
for three varieties of strawberry, blackcurrent, redcurrents, a single
tayberry and three rows of raspberries.
When it rains I am building a computer for my prospective son-in-law and
editing 28 hours of digital video taken when my wife and I spent three weeks
living with hill-tribe villagers in Thailand.

I don't watch much telly - and I sleep extremely soundly!

Old 29-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Sad Sid

"Old Codger" wrote in message
news
I don't believe planning permission is required for a garden
shed or a summer house. It is surprising the uses there are
for a good summer house.
Unless you live in a conservation area planning permission is not necessary
for "utility" buildings which are not habitable. They must be separate from
the house, built entirely within your own ground and meet maximum height
limits. (Hence the recent fury over a man who built a games room and
gymnasium that was larger than his house. Planning officials could do
nothing.)

Old 29-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Sad Sid

"Jim Lawton" wrote in message
OK, this tells us what the market is currently like. One of the longest

threads
we've had for some time, and it's about *sheds* :-)

No, it's mostly off-topic hysteria about something trivial ];o)