Old 29-09-2003, 08:12 AM
JennyC

Default Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

"Jim Lawton" wrote in message
OK, this tells us what the market is currently like. One of the

longest threads
we've had for some time, and it's about *sheds* :-)

A crossposting to uk.rec.sheds might be fun :~))

Jenny

Old 29-09-2003, 08:42 AM
Will Trash-Spam

"William.R.Reisen" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I am thinking about getting a garden office. I would be using this
building all year round working in it most days so needs to be well
insulated so the cold doesn't get at me and also needs to not get too
hot in the summertime. Also there would be about 6k of computer
equipment in there so needs to be as secure as possible. Because most
of my work is done on computers I don't want huge swathes of glass
windows and doors as I find too much light getting in stops me from
seeing the screen clearly due to reflections. I'm thinking of one with
approximate dimensions 3.5mx3.5m. Any suggestions for a vendor that
fits in well with these criterior. Also I'm not against putting it
together myself.

Thanks.

THe two option I'm consdiering are a conservatory or a "tay" log cabin.

The log cabin is cheaper, though a bit more fiddly as it won't be connected
to the house (from http://www.dhleisureandgarden.com), but both require
planning permission (in my case). You want to make sure that you have
proper business permission if your business pays for it, rather than rents
space in it from you (and make sure something domestic is in it to show it
is part of the private dwelling. And soon as you show up on councils radars
as running a business from home, beware....

I'm going to attached mine all up to my existing house alarm system and add
some cameras. As it will be at the back, the dog (and all the neighbours
dogs) will add protection too.

Old 29-09-2003, 09:23 AM
Simon Elliott

Sad Sid .? writes
"Old Codger" wrote in message
news
I don't believe planning permission is required for a garden
shed or a summer house. It is surprising the uses there are
for a good summer house.

Unless you live in a conservation area planning permission is not necessary
for "utility" buildings which are not habitable. They must be separate from
the house, built entirely within your own ground and meet maximum height
limits. (Hence the recent fury over a man who built a games room and
gymnasium that was larger than his house. Planning officials could do
nothing.)

And if you did ask for planning permission, isn't there a risk that the
local authority might try to ask for business rates?
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old 29-09-2003, 10:12 AM
Jim Lawton

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:42:02 +0000 (UTC), "Will Trash-Spam"
wrote:

And soon as you show up on councils radars
as running a business from home, beware....

What experiences have you had then? Change of use or what?

Old 29-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Jim Lawton

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:49:00 +0100, "Sad Sid" . wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
What about your own projects which have been hanging fire for years - to

say
nothing of the new ones you've just thought about?

I've just finished digging 900ft of ditch, laying drainage pipes, an
alkathene water pipe with five stand points, and installing an armoured
garden ring-main with IP65 sockets.
I am currently building a 20ft by 20ft fruit cage, containing raised beds
for three varieties of strawberry, blackcurrent, redcurrents, a single
tayberry and three rows of raspberries.
When it rains I am building a computer for my prospective son-in-law and
editing 28 hours of digital video taken when my wife and I spent three weeks
living with hill-tribe villagers in Thailand.

I don't watch much telly - and I sleep extremely soundly!

but why are you sad, Sid?
Old 29-09-2003, 11:34 AM
Sad Sid

"Jim Lawton" wrote in message
but why are you sad, Sid?

Withdrawal symptoms having moved 200 miles from where I spent much of my
life.
When you are working you meet many people to share your achievements and
failures with.
When you are retired you do something and then feel slightly irked that
there is no-one to pat you on the back, make sarcastic comments or tell you
how much better you could have done it....

Old 29-09-2003, 12:06 PM
Jim Lawton

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:27:39 +0100, "Sad Sid" . wrote:

"Jim Lawton" wrote in message
but why are you sad, Sid?

Withdrawal symptoms having moved 200 miles from where I spent much of my
life.
When you are working you meet many people to share your achievements and
failures with.
When you are retired you do something and then feel slightly irked that
there is no-one to pat you on the back, make sarcastic comments or tell you
how much better you could have done it....

Call that a response? I was looking for something much more specific. Good
grief, if you can't do retirement better than that, I'm afraid you're going to
have to get back to work at once.

Any good?

Jim

Old 29-09-2003, 01:32 PM
John Rumm

Tim Ward wrote:

So, despite the existence of "GBP" which has unambiguous meaning worldwide
on any documents written in any language, someone goes and invents "UKP",
which on the day they invented it meant nothing to anybody other than
themselves. Why??

Must admit to seeing UKP used far more often than GBP myself....

Not something I can get that excited over though!

--
Cheers,

John.

Old 29-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Peter Bushell

"David Hill" wrote in message

Of course, I side with you against the previous poster's condescending
remark, but...

Pity they don't strip sarcastic characters,

....if they did, your paragraph would have disappeared, and...

especially those that cant even
spell but rely totally on spell checker........."some sill simply" Must

be
nice to be so intelligent.

....classing simple typing errors as spelling mistakes is a bit over the top,
especially as you dropped an apostrophe in "can't".

And for your information to be a modern "Gardener " you have to be a
builder, a plumber, a gas fitter, a chemist, a botanist, an entomologist

and
be willing to work up to 15 hours a day in season and 7 days a week.

I'm the novice gardener in our house (I found this post in uk.consultants)
and I am genuinely in awe of my partner's knowledge of plants and "green
fingers". Let's just hope that gardening doesn't become the "new plumbing",
with thousands of disillusioned unemployed taking a six week course and
foisting themselves, unprepared, upon the public!

Peter.

Old 29-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Stephen Kellett

In message , Peter Bushell
I'm the novice gardener in our house (I found this post in uk.consultants)
and I am genuinely in awe of my partner's knowledge of plants and "green
fingers". Let's just hope that gardening doesn't become the "new plumbing",
with thousands of disillusioned unemployed taking a six week course and
foisting themselves, unprepared, upon the public!

Easy test to spot the fakes - real plant people don't use the common
names. Latin names all the time, unless you ask them what they are
talking about. My girlfriend is garden designer, I have no idea what she
is talking about half the time - bit like her comments about me and
comfusers (thats "computer" to you)..
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk
Old 29-09-2003, 02:42 PM
David Hill

".............. Let's just hope that gardening doesn't become the "new
plumbing", with thousands of disillusioned unemployed taking a six week
course and foisting themselves, unprepared, upon the public........."

I don't know, with the prices they charge........ just think a 2 hour
gardening job and a bill for a couple of hundred pounds sterling,
I was quoted one hundred and twenty pounds just to have a 12 ft length of
pipe joined into my gas pipe(From bulk tank, so supply was turned off to
work) and to have a tap at the end of it..
The pipe was in an awkward position and with osteoarthritus in both knees I
thought I would have it done. Did the job myself with pipe I already have
and just had to buy connection and tap, total cost under a tenner and the
job took less than 15 mins.
There is no way I would work for 10 hours to pay someone that rate for 15
mins work.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 29-09-2003, 02:42 PM
David Hill

"........real plant people don't use the common
names. Latin names all the time, unless you ask them what they are talking
about. ....."

It's called baffling them with "Bull Shit"
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 29-09-2003, 03:22 PM
BAC

"David Hill" wrote in message
"........real plant people don't use the common
names. Latin names all the time, unless you ask them what they are talking
about. ....."

It's called baffling them with "Bull Shit"

True - a little bullshit goes a long way :-)

Old 29-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Owain

"Sad Sid" wrote
| I've just finished digging 900ft of ditch, laying drainage pipes, an
| alkathene water pipe with five stand points, and installing an armoured
| garden ring-main with IP65 sockets.

You must live in an awfully rough area, to have to have an armoured garden.

Owain