Old 27-09-2003, 05:32 PM
William.R.Reisen

Default Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

Hi,

I am thinking about getting a garden office. I would be using this
building all year round working in it most days so needs to be well
insulated so the cold doesn't get at me and also needs to not get too
hot in the summertime. Also there would be about 6k of computer
equipment in there so needs to be as secure as possible. Because most
of my work is done on computers I don't want huge swathes of glass
windows and doors as I find too much light getting in stops me from
seeing the screen clearly due to reflections. I'm thinking of one with
approximate dimensions 3.5mx3.5m. Any suggestions for a vendor that
fits in well with these criterior. Also I'm not against putting it
together myself.

Thanks.
Old 27-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Kev

(William.R.Reisen) wrote in
om:

Hi,

I am thinking about getting a garden office. I would be using this
building all year round working in it most days so needs to be well
insulated so the cold doesn't get at me and also needs to not get too
hot in the summertime. Also there would be about 6k of computer
equipment in there so needs to be as secure as possible. Because most
of my work is done on computers I don't want huge swathes of glass
windows and doors as I find too much light getting in stops me from
seeing the screen clearly due to reflections. I'm thinking of one with
approximate dimensions 3.5mx3.5m. Any suggestions for a vendor that
fits in well with these criterior. Also I'm not against putting it
together myself.

Thanks.

I did this in a converted shed. I filled all the gaps in the walls then
lined the whole of the inside with rockwool, and covered over the top of
this with plywood. Did the same for the ceiling, running the rockwool
between the "joists" and covering over with plywood.

It worked well, it was fine to heat in the winter I had a little fan
heater that did the trick well. The shed was around 10' by 8'. The
main problem I had was the heat in the summer, it reched stupid
proportions, about 30 degrees. It was suggested to paint the roof with
siler felt seal to reflect the heat, but I never got round to that.

For power I ran cable down the garden and had a seperate consumer unit
in the shed, which after some discussion was decided the best way to do
it, with an isdolator indoors where it ran from the main CU.

I had a good proportion of computer equpiment in there although not as
much as you, but it did get cold overnight, due to not having a proper
heater in there. If you go this route I would suggest putting in a
proper wall heater that can run overnight to take the chill off if it
drops too low.

Saved space in the house though and was great for escaping SWMBO!!
Old 27-09-2003, 09:42 PM
007

"Kev" wrote in message
. 254.254...
[...]

A 2ft Tubular Heater works fine. 60 watts per foot

Saved space in the house though and was great for escaping SWMBO!!

Old 27-09-2003, 10:14 PM
Mary Fisher

Saved space in the house though and was great for escaping SWMBO!!

I bet she was relieved too.

Mary

Old 27-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Steve Firth

William.R.Reisen wrote:

I'm thinking of one with approximate dimensions 3.5mx3.5m. Any suggestions
for a vendor that fits in well with these criterior. Also I'm not against
putting it together myself.

Much depends on how much dosh you have. I like English Heritage
buildings which are framed in green oak. If you want to, you can lay the
f=oundation and build the dwarf wall, they install the frame then you
finish off. They'll do as much or as little as you want.

I've been considering buying an UnoPiu garden office. they're extremely
well made and shipped as a flat pack. Not sure if they are available
here yet but very popular in Germany and Italy.

--
Mathematicians, please don't drink and derive.
Old 28-09-2003, 04:24 AM
MSC

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 22:49:58 +0100, Andrew Heggie
wrote:

One of the chaps I work for imported a Norwegian chalet as an office
in his Sussex garden. It was built by slotting together quite thick
(30mm+) pre shaped softwood planks. It came complete with a mezzanine
for sleeping quarters, though to keep the profile low he omitted the
last 50cm of walls, using the mezzanine as storage.

It sounds a bit like this from B&Q

http://www.diy.com/bq/product/produc...CATID=1829 64

(careful of any line breaks) although I cant help thinking 5 grand
would buy an awful lot of concrete and bricks!

Mike

Old 28-09-2003, 08:42 AM
David Hill

"......My 16ft x 10ft office cost 1200ukp and looks great..........."

What ever happened to the good old British £ ?
This is a UK group after all.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 28-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Colin Wilson

"......My 16ft x 10ft office cost 1200ukp and looks great..........."
What ever happened to the good old British =A3 ?
This is a UK group after all.

Not all newsreaders seem to display them properly, so ukp is a work-
around :-}

--=20
Old 28-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Tim Ward

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
"......My 16ft x 10ft office cost 1200ukp and looks great..........."
What ever happened to the good old British £ ?
This is a UK group after all.

Not all newsreaders seem to display them properly, so ukp is a work-
around :-}

But if you feel the need for such a workaround why not use the standard
code? Why invent something non-standard that leaves people having to work
out what it means? Or is this a deliberate political statement about the
status of Northern Ireland?

--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Brett Ward Ltd - www.brettward.co.uk

Old 28-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Mary Fisher

If you don't have the time, try advertising for a pensioner to do it
for you!

You think pensioners have time to spare???????

You wait!

Mary