GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   growing cloudberry (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/44206-growing-cloudberry.html)

Cat 27-09-2003 06:42 PM

growing cloudberry

During a recent trip to Finland, I sampled that food of the Gods,
cloudberry jam. From what little research I have done, it seems
cloudberry (Rubus Chamaemorus) grows in peatbogs in sub-arctic areas.
I am wondering whether I might be able to grow the plant here in the
Midlands of Ireland (we do have peat bogs within a short few miles,
and getting peat into the soil specially for those berries would not
be a problem if that is all it takes). Has anyone successfully tried
somewhere in the UK or Ireland who could give me some advice?
Thanks in advance !
Cat(h)

Kay Easton 27-09-2003 08:02 PM

growing cloudberry

In article , Cat
writes

During a recent trip to Finland, I sampled that food of the Gods,
cloudberry jam. From what little research I have done, it seems
cloudberry (Rubus Chamaemorus) grows in peatbogs in sub-arctic areas.
I am wondering whether I might be able to grow the plant here in the
Midlands of Ireland (we do have peat bogs within a short few miles,
and getting peat into the soil specially for those berries would not
be a problem if that is all it takes). Has anyone successfully tried
somewhere in the UK or Ireland who could give me some advice?
Thanks in advance !
Cat(h)

It grows wild on top of the mountains in scotland.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Nick Maclaren 27-09-2003 08:43 PM

growing cloudberry

In article ,
Cat wrote:

During a recent trip to Finland, I sampled that food of the Gods,
cloudberry jam. From what little research I have done, it seems
cloudberry (Rubus Chamaemorus) grows in peatbogs in sub-arctic areas.
I am wondering whether I might be able to grow the plant here in the
Midlands of Ireland (we do have peat bogs within a short few miles,
and getting peat into the soil specially for those berries would not
be a problem if that is all it takes). Has anyone successfully tried
somewhere in the UK or Ireland who could give me some advice?

We had a thread on this. As they are native, and you live in a peat
area, I should be surprised if you had too much trouble. But nobody
seemed to have actual experience ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Steve Harris 28-09-2003 04:32 PM

growing cloudberry

In article ,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

cloudberry

According to
http://www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/cgi-bin/p...us+chamaemorus

"The plant not is self-fertile" (sic)

Cat 28-09-2003 11:38 PM

growing cloudberry

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 16:32 +0100 (BST), (Steve
Harris) wrote:

In article ,

(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

cloudberry

According to
http://www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/cgi-bin/p...us+chamaemorus

"The plant not is self-fertile" (sic)

All I have to do now is see if I can locate some plants at a local
garden centre...
Thanks to all for your help !!
Cat(h)

Jaques d'Altrades 29-09-2003 01:02 PM

growing cloudberry

The message
from Cat contains these words:

All I have to do now is see if I can locate some plants at a local
garden centre...
Thanks to all for your help !!

What odds are we offering?

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Cat 30-09-2003 01:03 AM

growing cloudberry

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:34:21 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from Cat contains these words:

All I have to do now is see if I can locate some plants at a local
garden centre...
Thanks to all for your help !!

What odds are we offering?

Damned if I know...
But I found a nursery near Inverness who is happy to post seeds...
for a wee bit of money, of course.
Cat(h)