Old 28-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Zipadee Doodar

Default minimum thickness of deck joists?

I inted to lay decking over a tatty concrete area at side of house. What is
the minimum depth of joist to use? I want to keep the increase in floor
height to a minimum. Would I get away with something like 2 x 2 inch joists
laid on thin roof slates to raise and level them over the concrete like
this....

====================== deck board
[ ] 16in [ ] 16in [ ] 2 inch joists
== == == slate / tile leveller
/////////////////////////////////////////////////// concrete base

or is this a recipe for a quick (though short) descent?

TIA
ZD

Old 28-09-2003, 07:22 PM
JennyC

"Zipadee Doodar" wrote in message
I inted to lay decking over a tatty concrete area at side of house.

What is
the minimum depth of joist to use? I want to keep the increase in

floor
height to a minimum. Would I get away with something like 2 x 2 inch

joists
laid on thin roof slates to raise and level them over the concrete

like
this....

====================== deck board
[ ] 16in [ ] 16in [ ] 2 inch joists
== == == slate / tile

leveller
/////////////////////////////////////////////////// concrete

base

or is this a recipe for a quick (though short) descent?

TIA
ZD

Info & diagrams etc at ;
http://www.deckingweb.co.uk/deckingw.htm
http://www.pavingexpert.com/featur05.htm

Jenny

Old 28-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Sad Sid

"Zipadee Doodar" wrote in message
I inted to lay decking over a tatty concrete area at side of house. What

is
the minimum depth of joist to use?

If you are laying on concrete all you need is sufficient depth to allow air
circulation and water drainage.

Would I get away with something like 2 x 2 inch joists
laid on thin roof slates to raise and level them over the concrete

The slates will almost certainly fail. Use pads of mortar - it's very easy
to mix in a wheelbarrow.

Old 29-09-2003, 12:27 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Zipadee Doodar" contains these words:

I inted to lay decking over a tatty concrete area at side of house.

Go to the weekly abc for newcomers post, follow the links to the FAQs,
and thence to cormaic's landscaping website.

Janet.

Topsoil Thickness ? Robert11 Lawns 1 27-04-2006 05:34 AM
What thickness concrete base? Smudge Smith Ponds (alternative) 0 27-03-2006 09:41 PM
Mulching to control weeds; mulch thickness? gonzo Edible Gardening 4 10-06-2005 05:46 AM
what THICKNESS of barrier? RainLover Bamboo 2 30-11-2004 08:06 PM
what thickness of flagstone? effi Gardening 1 27-06-2003 11:44 AM