Old 28-09-2003, 07:23 PM
Eric the Red

Default Budget Chainsaw recommendations

I am in the process of cutting down a number of Leyllandi. So far I have
been going up a ladder and thinning out the trees by cutting down branches
using a bow saw and a lopper. So far this has worked well and I am happy to
continue this process to fell the trees.

My problem is my mother has decided she would like the firewood. I do not
fancy and do not really have the time to cut up all the branches and trunks
to lengths of 10" using a bow saw. There are 20+ trunks of over 40 foot with
a max thinkness of about 12". Also several hundred branches.

My thoughts where to buy a 14" electric chain saw to cut up the trees once
felled. I have seen DIY superstore own brand chainsaws for around £60, a
McCulloch for £80 and a Bosch for £100. Considering the time it would save
me I think it woth the money.

Anyone used these type of saws and have comments.

Eric.

Old 28-09-2003, 10:03 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Eric the Red
writes
I am in the process of cutting down a number of Leyllandi. So far I have
been going up a ladder and thinning out the trees by cutting down branches
using a bow saw and a lopper. So far this has worked well and I am happy to
continue this process to fell the trees.

My problem is my mother has decided she would like the firewood. I do not
fancy and do not really have the time to cut up all the branches and trunks
to lengths of 10" using a bow saw. There are 20+ trunks of over 40 foot with
a max thinkness of about 12". Also several hundred branches.

My thoughts where to buy a 14" electric chain saw to cut up the trees once
felled. I have seen DIY superstore own brand chainsaws for around £60, a
McCulloch for £80 and a Bosch for £100. Considering the time it would save
me I think it woth the money.

There must be cheaper ways of buying firewood!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 28-09-2003, 11:27 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:27:06 +0100, Eric the Red wrote:

My problem is my mother has decided she would like the firewood.

Does Leyllandi make even half decent firewood? I'd have thought it
would have a rather high resin content and thus produce rather more
tar than most other woods. What is she going to burn it in/on? Who has
to sweep the flue/chimney?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 29-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:27:06 +0100, Eric the Red wrote:

My problem is my mother has decided she would like the firewood.

Does Leyllandi make even half decent firewood? I'd have thought it
would have a rather high resin content and thus produce rather more
tar than most other woods. What is she going to burn it in/on? Who has
to sweep the flue/chimney?

My thoughts exactly. In an open fire it will spit sparks; in a log
stove it will tar the chimney very quickly, causing messy tar runs
overnight or possibly a chimney blockage or fire. Also, she would need
somewhere dry to store the wood for a year before using it.

Janet.

Old 29-09-2003, 07:45 AM
Tumbleweed

"Eric the Red" wrote in message
[...]

I have a Bosch that cost about £100, its not really man enough for cutting
through 12", but anything up to about 8" is a breeze. My advice would be to
look around and buy one where spares(esp chains) are also easy to get, spare
bosch chains are v difficult to come by where I live, none of the usual DIY
places stock them but they do mcculloch. You need a spare because if you hit
anything hard, the chain blunts in an instant.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 29-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Philip

"Eric the Red" wrote in message ...
I am in the process of cutting down a number of Leyllandi.
[SNIP]
My problem is my mother has decided she would like the firewood.
[SNIP]
Anyone used these type of saws and have comments.

As stated by a previous poster I am not certain that these logs will
burn very well. A fact supported by this little poem:

Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year
Chestnut only good they say
If for long it's laid away
Make a fire of elder tree
Death within your house will be
But ash new or ash old
Is fit for a Queen with a crown of gold
Birch and Fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last
It is by the Irish said
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread
Elmwood burns like churchyard mould
Even the very flames are cold
But ash green or ash brown
Is fit for a Queen with a golden crown

Poplar gives a bitter smoke
Fills your eyes and makes you choke
Apple wood will scent your room
With an incense-like perfume
Oaken logs, if dry and old
Keep away the winters cold
But ash wet or ash dry
A king shall warm his slippers by.

Lastly under the all encompassing heading of Pine I note :

"Burns well when seasoned, but tends to spit, so it's best in a stove.
All resinous woods makes good kindling. They also tend to leave an
oily soot in the chimney. The smell of a pine fire can be a feast for
the olfactory senses."

I kept a branch from a Leylandii type tree for two years before taking
it to the tip. It was still as 'green' and full of resin on the day
I checked it as it was on the day I cut it. So I would guess she is
looking at a 5 year timescale before these logs will 'season'
naturaly.

Old 29-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Eric the Red

Thanks for the comments on suitablity of this wood for burning and will ask
my mother to reconsider.

However I will still need to cut them up to dispose of them.

Eric.

Old 01-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Dave Painter

"Eric the Red" wrote in message
snip

My thoughts where to buy a 14" electric chain saw to cut up the trees once
felled. I have seen DIY superstore own brand chainsaws for around £60, a
McCulloch for £80 and a Bosch for £100. Considering the time it would save
me I think it woth the money.

Anyone used these type of saws and have comments.

Yes.
B&Q/superstore own brands.
Very cheap, do the job but a b*gger to get spares/replacements for.
If you buy one make sure you get a new chain there and then.
At least if your chain snaps (unlikely) or wears out then you have the
replacement and
a decent period of time to get another.
Be careful in use, these are low weight/low usage OEM machines but just
because a major manufacturor
made them it does not follow that they can supply spare bars/handles/casings
etc

McCulloch - a reasonably well known brand/widely stocked

Bosch
More expensive machine, mine was also heavier. So was harder to use for very
light weight trimming

A cheap saw should do for your purposes, I assume that when the trees
are down, you will be doing very little tree surgery.
Invest in a saw horse/cutting stand. Takes the strain and a lot of dangers
out of cutting big logs into
smaller ones.

HTH

Dave