GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   spring bulbs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/44427-spring-bulbs.html)

miklol 30-09-2003 05:02 PM

spring bulbs

When is the best time to plant spring bulbs,especially in containers, and
how deep should they be,especially hyacynths?

shazzbat 30-09-2003 11:40 PM

spring bulbs

"miklol" wrote in message
When is the best time to plant spring bulbs,especially in containers, and
how deep should they be,especially hyacynths?

I planted some today. There isn't really a particular time other than before
it gets too frosty. Many are of course left in for several years. The
perceived wisdom is that a bulb should have twice its size of soil/compost
above it, but this is often not posible in containers. In practice they
arn't that fussy about depth.

HTH

Steve