Old 02-10-2003, 09:22 PM
martin

Default Cow manure fertiliser

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 19:21:36 +0100, "Howard Neil" hneil@REMOVE TO
REPLY.co.uk wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 16:24:22 +0100, "Howard Neil" hneil@REMOVE TO
REPLY.co.uk wrote:

My free range
chickens cause no problems at all. I would expect chickens kept in a run

kill any plants by their scratching and digging dust hollows.

even the nettles?

I only know two people who keep chickens in a run (most around me have free
range chickens) and their chickens seem to have a scorched earth policy.
Mind you, I do not know if they had nettles in the first place.

During the war my grandmother devoted the whole of an extremely large
garden to her chickens by 1945 there were only nettles left.
--
Martin
Old 02-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Franz Heymann

REPLY.co.uk wrote:

My free range
chickens cause no problems at all. I would expect chickens kept in a

run
kill any plants by their scratching and digging dust hollows.

even the nettles?

I only know two people who keep chickens in a run (most around me have

free
range chickens) and their chickens seem to have a scorched earth policy.
Mind you, I do not know if they had nettles in the first place.

My curiousity drives me to display my ignorance: What is involved in
keeping chickens in a run, and what constitutes a free range chicken?

Franz

Old 02-10-2003, 11:22 PM
martin

REPLY.co.uk wrote:

My free range
chickens cause no problems at all. I would expect chickens kept in a

run
kill any plants by their scratching and digging dust hollows.

even the nettles?

I only know two people who keep chickens in a run (most around me have

free
range chickens) and their chickens seem to have a scorched earth policy.
Mind you, I do not know if they had nettles in the first place.

My curiousity drives me to display my ignorance: What is involved in
keeping chickens in a run, and what constitutes a free range chicken?

I also thought chickens in a run were free range. I also thought that
a run was an outside place where chickens were kept.

It seems that chicken run has a more specific meaning nowadays
see http://www.henhouses.co.uk/aylesford.html
--
Martin
Old 03-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

My curiousity drives me to display my ignorance: What is involved in
keeping chickens in a run, and what constitutes a free range chicken?

Batteries are small cages which the chickens live in. A sloping wire
mesh floor allows eggs to roll out to a ramp outside the cage, thus
remaining clean and unpecked.

Chickens in a run usually means that there is a wooden chicken house
with a wire-netting run attached.

(Proper) free-range hens have a chicken house, but are free to invade
their neighbours' gardens, get run over in the road, roost in trees or
go on holiday with Mr. Fox.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 03-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

During the war my grandmother devoted the whole of an extremely large
garden to her chickens by 1945 there were only nettles left.

Ah. I had a grandmother like that. Strangely, she was never without
butter, bacon, tea, coffee, sugar, etc.

Then again, she had a *LOT* of hens, and a grocer for a next-door
neighbour........

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 03-10-2003, 01:23 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

My curiousity drives me to display my ignorance: What is involved in
keeping chickens in a run, and what constitutes a free range chicken?

Chickens are omnivores. Given a the chance they eat grass (lots),
seeds, weeds, insects, worms, mice, frogs, bugs, grubs etc. They
constantly scratch and peck, foraging for food, even when they have
ample commercial food cut into peck-sized pieces and served up in a
clean container.The yolk colour and taste of eggs and meat from chickens
fed that way is superb; that's what, as a chicken keeper, I classify as
freerange chicken.

Also, hens dustbath. 4 chickens, put in a fenced grassed run the size
of a living room, will soon peck, scratch and dustbath it into a bare
earth run devoid of life. One way round this is a moveable run to
conserve the grass, and give the birds access to fresh supplies of worms
etc. Or, you let them run loose on such a large area that they can never
wear down the herbage, which is what we did. We kept a handful of
chickens on almost 4 acres and they made no impression on it at all.

Janet.

Old 03-10-2003, 10:44 AM
martin

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 22:25:58 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

My curiousity drives me to display my ignorance: What is involved in
keeping chickens in a run, and what constitutes a free range chicken?

Chickens are omnivores. Given a the chance they eat grass (lots),
seeds, weeds, insects, worms, mice, frogs, bugs, grubs etc.

and each other!

They
constantly scratch and peck, foraging for food, even when they have
ample commercial food cut into peck-sized pieces and served up in a
clean container.

I tend to do the same :-)

The yolk colour and taste of eggs and meat from chickens
fed that way is superb; that's what, as a chicken keeper, I classify as
freerange chicken.

Also, hens dustbath. 4 chickens, put in a fenced grassed run the size
of a living room, will soon peck, scratch and dustbath it into a bare
earth run devoid of life. One way round this is a moveable run to
conserve the grass, and give the birds access to fresh supplies of worms
etc. Or, you let them run loose on such a large area that they can never
wear down the herbage, which is what we did. We kept a handful of
chickens on almost 4 acres and they made no impression on it at all.

ah!
--
Martin

Old 03-10-2003, 11:03 AM
martin

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 22:29:07 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

During the war my grandmother devoted the whole of an extremely large
garden to her chickens by 1945 there were only nettles left.

Ah. I had a grandmother like that. Strangely, she was never without
butter, bacon, tea, coffee, sugar, etc.

She also kept a pig in a sty and geese.

Then again, she had a *LOT* of hens, and a grocer for a next-door
neighbour........

amazing, are we related? :-)
--
Martin
Old 03-10-2003, 11:03 AM
martin

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 22:34:33 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

(Proper) free-range hens have a chicken house, but are free to invade
their neighbours' gardens, get run over in the road, roost in trees or
go on holiday with Mr. Fox.

We visited Castle Howard a couple of weeks ago and noticed that
peacocks were roosting fairly high up in trees. I can't recall seeing
a peacock fly. We have never seen grebes fly either.
--
Martin

Old 03-10-2003, 12:22 PM
The Flying Hamster

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 10:33:48 +0200, martin wrote:
We visited Castle Howard a couple of weeks ago and noticed that
peacocks were roosting fairly high up in trees. I can't recall seeing
a peacock fly. We have never seen grebes fly either.

They hide all the climbingtqt in their feathers, well all apart from
the geekpeacocks who hollow out the tree and install a lift.

--
The Flying Hamster http://www.korenwolf.net/
Programming machines that won't think using an operating system that can't
Old 03-10-2003, 01:13 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

During the war my grandmother devoted the whole of an extremely large
garden to her chickens by 1945 there were only nettles left.

Ah. I had a grandmother like that. Strangely, she was never without
butter, bacon, tea, coffee, sugar, etc.

She also kept a pig in a sty and geese.

Then again, she had a *LOT* of hens, and a grocer for a next-door
neighbour........

amazing, are we related? :-)

sulk

I never saw the pig or the geese......

And I thought *I* was he apple of her eye.

/sulk

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 03-10-2003, 01:15 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

wrote:

(Proper) free-range hens have a chicken house, but are free to invade
their neighbours' gardens, get run over in the road, roost in trees or
go on holiday with Mr. Fox.

We visited Castle Howard a couple of weeks ago and noticed that
peacocks were roosting fairly high up in trees. I can't recall seeing
a peacock fly. We have never seen grebes fly either.

Oh, peafowl fly. A peacock adopted me for a summer and used to roost on
my roof. At first light he would stomp up and down the ridge in hobnail
boots, uttering piercing whistles.

The dwelling being (nominally) a bungalow, and having a corrugated iron
lid, this was an unwelcome activity, and had it continued much longer
might have introduced me to the delights of roast peacock........

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 03-10-2003, 01:15 PM
martin

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 11:00:09 +0100, The Flying Hamster
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 10:33:48 +0200, martin wrote:
We visited Castle Howard a couple of weeks ago and noticed that
peacocks were roosting fairly high up in trees. I can't recall seeing
a peacock fly. We have never seen grebes fly either.

They hide all the climbingtqt in their feathers, well all apart from
the geekpeacocks who hollow out the tree and install a lift.

escamemulator shirley?

gasp of amazement so!

and grebes prefer to travel underwater than fly.

what about flying hamsters and pigs?
--
Martin
Old 04-10-2003, 12:59 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

My curiousity drives me to display my ignorance: What is involved in
keeping chickens in a run, and what constitutes a free range chicken?

Batteries are small cages which the chickens live in. A sloping wire
mesh floor allows eggs to roll out to a ramp outside the cage, thus
remaining clean and unpecked.

Chickens in a run usually means that there is a wooden chicken house
with a wire-netting run attached.

If you had meant to say ".....chicken house situated in a compound bounded
by a wire-netting fence, I would have understood you.

(Proper) free-range hens have a chicken house, but are free to invade
their neighbours' gardens, get run over in the road, roost in trees or
go on holiday with Mr. Fox.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

"cow manure & compost" really a mulch? OhioGuy Gardening 8 27-03-2009 03:54 PM
T-Shirts made with 100% cow manure [email protected] Gardening 5 17-11-2005 09:37 AM
Cow Manure Question sherwindu Gardening 6 25-07-2005 07:43 AM
dry cow manure Lee Gardening 4 28-09-2004 08:08 AM
Want to buy Mulch and bulk cow manure in Melbourne - advice please DeeJ Australia 0 25-10-2003 04:02 AM