Old 01-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Cow manure fertiliser

There is a commercial source of composted cowpats which, it is claimed, is a
very concentrated, rich compost. If I understand it correctly, it is too
rich to be used as a mulch in the ordinary sense of the word. And yet, if
my memory serves me right, it is relatively inexpensive.

Does any urgler have any experience of it?

Franz

Old 01-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

There is a commercial source of composted cowpats which, it is claimed, is a
very concentrated, rich compost. If I understand it correctly, it is too
rich to be used as a mulch in the ordinary sense of the word. And yet, if
my memory serves me right, it is relatively inexpensive.

Does any urgler have any experience of it?

Dunno, what's the brand name? I've used 6X, which is composted poultry
manure. You certainly would not want to use that as a mulch, it's far
too rich; but very effective scattered lightly as a fertiliser on soil
surface, or a *small* amount mixed into compost for potted fuchsias etc.

Janet.

Old 01-10-2003, 11:43 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

There is a commercial source of composted cowpats which, it is claimed,

is a
very concentrated, rich compost. If I understand it correctly, it is

too
rich to be used as a mulch in the ordinary sense of the word. And yet,

if
my memory serves me right, it is relatively inexpensive.

Does any urgler have any experience of it?

Dunno, what's the brand name? I've used 6X, which is composted poultry
manure. You certainly would not want to use that as a mulch, it's far
too rich; but very effective scattered lightly as a fertiliser on soil
surface, or a *small* amount mixed into compost for potted fuchsias etc.

My problem is that I have forgotten the brand name and the source of that
composted cow manure.

Yes, I have used poultry manure frequently, and I reaslise that it is pretty
potent stuff, unsuitable for general mulching.

Franz

Old 02-10-2003, 01:04 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Yes, I have used poultry manure frequently, and I reaslise that it is pretty
potent stuff, unsuitable for general mulching.

IRTA 'general munching' and couldn't agree more.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 02-10-2003, 10:41 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

Yes, I have used poultry manure frequently, and I reaslise that it is

pretty
potent stuff, unsuitable for general mulching.

IRTA 'general munching' and couldn't agree more.

Into the mouths of babes and sucklings....

{:-))

Franz

Old 02-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

Yes, I have used poultry manure frequently, and I reaslise that it is

pretty
potent stuff, unsuitable for general mulching.

IRTA 'general munching' and couldn't agree more.

Into the mouths of babes and sucklings....

IRTA 'Into the mouths of babes and ducklings....' and it molished
perfect sense.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 02-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Alastair

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
Yes, I have used poultry manure frequently, and I reaslise that it is pretty
potent stuff, unsuitable for general mulching.

Franz

What makes it unsuitable?
Is there something within that is so concentrated that it causes plants to burn?

Alastair

Old 02-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"Alastair" wrote in message
m...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

Yes, I have used poultry manure frequently, and I reaslise that it is

pretty
potent stuff, unsuitable for general mulching.

Franz

What makes it unsuitable?
Is there something within that is so concentrated that it causes plants to

burn?

Indeed there is, judging by all I have read about chicken manure.
The cautionary words are always to use it sparingly, like a strong
fertiliser rather than like a mulch.

Franz

Old 02-10-2003, 04:02 PM
martin

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 13:30:29 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Alastair" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

Yes, I have used poultry manure frequently, and I reaslise that it is

pretty
potent stuff, unsuitable for general mulching.

Franz

What makes it unsuitable?
Is there something within that is so concentrated that it causes plants to

burn?

Indeed there is, judging by all I have read about chicken manure.
The cautionary words are always to use it sparingly, like a strong
fertiliser rather than like a mulch.

Anybody who has ever kept free range chickens will know that after a
while nothing grows in the chicken run except AFAIR nettles.
--
Martin
Old 02-10-2003, 05:33 PM
Howard Neil

"martin" wrote in message

Anybody who has ever kept free range chickens will know that after a
while nothing grows in the chicken run except AFAIR nettles.

I would hardly call chickens kept in a run "free range". My free range
chickens cause no problems at all. I would expect chickens kept in a run to
kill any plants by their scratching and digging dust hollows.

--
Howard Neil

Old 02-10-2003, 06:02 PM
martin

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 16:24:22 +0100, "Howard Neil" hneil@REMOVE TO
REPLY.co.uk wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .

Anybody who has ever kept free range chickens will know that after a
while nothing grows in the chicken run except AFAIR nettles.

I would hardly call chickens kept in a run "free range".

depends on the size of the run the number of chickens in the run
and the size of your range.

Isn't it free range as opposed to battery farmed and nothing to do
with the state of Texas?

My free range
chickens cause no problems at all. I would expect chickens kept in a run to
kill any plants by their scratching and digging dust hollows.

even the nettles?

--
Martin
Old 02-10-2003, 08:24 PM
Howard Neil

REPLY.co.uk wrote:

My free range
chickens cause no problems at all. I would expect chickens kept in a run

kill any plants by their scratching and digging dust hollows.

even the nettles?

I only know two people who keep chickens in a run (most around me have free
range chickens) and their chickens seem to have a scorched earth policy.
Mind you, I do not know if they had nettles in the first place.

--
Howard Neil

"cow manure & compost" really a mulch? OhioGuy Gardening 8 27-03-2009 03:54 PM
T-Shirts made with 100% cow manure [email protected] Gardening 5 17-11-2005 09:37 AM
Cow Manure Question sherwindu Gardening 6 25-07-2005 07:43 AM
dry cow manure Lee Gardening 4 28-09-2004 08:08 AM
Want to buy Mulch and bulk cow manure in Melbourne - advice please DeeJ Australia 0 25-10-2003 04:02 AM