GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dahlias (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/44810-dahlias.html)

Marion Pearcey 05-10-2003 02:12 PM

Dahlias

I am new to this group and wonder if anyone can advise as to how I keep
and store dahlia tubers. Any advice will be welcome,

--
Marion

Rhiannon S 05-10-2003 02:22 PM

Dahlias

Subject: Dahlias
From: Marion Pearcey
Date: 05/10/2003 14:09 GMT Daylight Time
I am new to this group and wonder if anyone can advise as to how I keep
and store dahlia tubers. Any advice will be welcome,

The way my grandfather did them was to pull them out of the ground after the
frost blackned them. Clean as much soil off as you can, leave the tubers lying
on a bed sheet in the shed (or porch) for a week until the remaining soil was
all dry, shake the dry soil off and shove them in a cardboard box wrapped in
newspaper in the airing cupboard until the next year.

Oh, and then get shouted at by my grandmother for filling her airing cupboard
with boxes.

It seemed to work for him and he always had wonderful dahlias each year.
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/

David Hill 05-10-2003 03:32 PM

Dahlias

This should give you all the info you need. worth saving
http://www.dahlias.net/dahwebpg/Cult...ex/Culture.htm

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

K 05-10-2003 09:33 PM

Dahlias

"Rhiannon S" wrote in message
: From: Marion Pearcey
: Date: 05/10/2003 14:09 GMT Daylight Time
: I am new to this group and wonder if anyone can advise as to how I keep
: and store dahlia tubers. Any advice will be welcome,
:
:
: The way my grandfather did them was to pull them out of the ground after
the
: frost blackned them.

Can someone tell me why it has to be after the first frost? What does the
frost do, and what is the advantage? I've often wondered.

Clean as much soil off as you can, leave the tubers lying
: on a bed sheet in the shed (or porch) for a week until the remaining soil
was
: all dry, shake the dry soil off and shove them in a cardboard box wrapped
in
: newspaper in the airing cupboard until the next year.
:
: Oh, and then get shouted at by my grandmother for filling her airing
cupboard
: with boxes.
:
: It seemed to work for him and he always had wonderful dahlias each year.
: --
: Rhiannon
:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
: Q: how many witches does it take to change a lightbulb?
: A: depends on what you want it changed into!

David Hill 05-10-2003 11:02 PM

Dahlias

".......Can someone tell me why it has to be after the first frost? What
does the frost do, and what is the advantage? I've often wondered....."

It kicks the tuber into dormancy, otherwise it would keep growing after
lifting.
When I first started growing Dahlias Many Many years ago the tubers were
lifted, dried then stored under our bed.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

K 05-10-2003 11:13 PM

Dahlias

"David Hill" wrote in message
: ".......Can someone tell me why it has to be after the first frost? What
: does the frost do, and what is the advantage? I've often wondered....."
:
: It kicks the tuber into dormancy, otherwise it would keep growing after
: lifting.
: When I first started growing Dahlias Many Many years ago the tubers were
: lifted, dried then stored under our bed.
:
: --
: David Hill
: Abacus nurseries
: www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk
:
:
Thanks, David. I suppose that's a good a place as any to store them :O0)