Old 05-10-2003, 06:32 PM

Default Grow houseplants

What house plants can I grow from seed. I have access to a heated
propagator and a small home natural light set.
I was thinking of cineraria and coleus a
Any other ideas
Thanks
Group
Rich
Old 05-10-2003, 07:02 PM
remove

Would be growing indoors

Old 05-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote in message
What house plants can I grow from seed. I have access to a heated
propagator and a small home natural light set.

I am very interested in what you refer to as a "small home natural light
set", because I would like to overwinter some half hardy plants and raise
some early seeds in the garage if I knew how to provide the illumination
without me having to do a lot of DIY manufacturing.
What lamps?
What wattage?
How large an illuminated area?
What illumination?
What cost?
Where is it to be found?

Franz

Old 05-10-2003, 11:46 PM
Bob Hobden

"Franz wrote in message
What house plants can I grow from seed. I have access to a heated
propagator and a small home natural light set.

I am very interested in what you refer to as a "small home natural light
set", because I would like to overwinter some half hardy plants and raise
some early seeds in the garage if I knew how to provide the illumination
without me having to do a lot of DIY manufacturing.
What lamps?
What wattage?
How large an illuminated area?
What illumination?
What cost?
Where is it to be found?

Take a look at www.groworganic.com/cgy_335.html there are just a few on
there and I know that these lights are advertised in the Magazines like "The
Garden" etc.
No doubt these firms will help with the answers you require.

I used to grow some Orchids (phalaenopsis) under lights in a home designed
"Wardian Case" quite successfully and use strip lights designed to grow
water plants in tropical fish tanks, they are called "Triton" and are sold
under the "Interpet" brand. You need a lot though, and ordinary plants
would have to be close to them. It would involve a lot of DIY too. :-(

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 06-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Franz Heymann

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Franz wrote in message
[...]

Many years ago I did an experiment to estimate how many of these fish tank
lamps you would need to provide a reasonable illumination. It turns out to
be 4, spaced at about 6" apart, suspended about 18" above the plants.

I no longer have the DIY urge to costruct such a beast.

Franz

Old 06-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Rich

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 21:38:13 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:
I did buy the set several years ago The are is around 6 foot long by 3
foot wide and you only have to plug in
I think they were quite expensive though
Rich
Ps anyone help with my original query about what plants to grow and
hours etc of light into bloom
Thanks
Rich

.. .