Old 05-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Mick

Default Plant identity needed

2 Questions .
My friend has a shrub he calls an American Lilac , it has Lilac type pale
blue flowers , but is different to the usual lilacs I am familiar with, has
any one heard of this one.
Also as I travel up and down the A 1 , this last week the leaves on a
certain tree / shrub has caught my eye , in strong sunlight the crimson
colour of the leaves are stunning , they are not Sorbus or Ash that are
turning , they do appear to be part of a woodland mix , I did think they
might be a cornus but the bark is brown . the leaves are ovate and heavily
veined .

Mike !!!!

Thanks

Old 05-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Martin Sykes

"Mick" wrote in message
Also as I travel up and down the A 1 , this last week the leaves on a
certain tree / shrub has caught my eye , in strong sunlight the crimson
colour of the leaves are stunning , they are not Sorbus or Ash that are
turning , they do appear to be part of a woodland mix , I did think they
might be a cornus but the bark is brown . the leaves are ovate and heavily
veined .

Corylus maxima purpurea? common name is a filbert - like a hazelnut. The
leaves look quite dark until the sun shines through them and then they look
bright red.
--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Newsgroups - remove x from address when replying )

Old 05-10-2003, 09:02 PM
MCC

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 19:05:41 +0100, Mick wrote:

My friend has a shrub he calls an American Lilac , it has Lilac type pale
blue flowers , but is different to the usual lilacs I am familiar with, has
any one heard of this one.

Ceanothus is the "posh" name for Californian Lilac. Is that what you are
thinking of? Masses of blooms in late spring/early summer.
--
MCC
Old 05-10-2003, 11:44 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mick" wrote in message
2 Questions .
My friend has a shrub he calls an American Lilac , it has Lilac type pale
blue flowers , but is different to the usual lilacs I am familiar with,

has
any one heard of this one.
Also as I travel up and down the A 1 , this last week the leaves on a
certain tree / shrub has caught my eye , in strong sunlight the crimson
colour of the leaves are stunning , they are not Sorbus or Ash that are
turning , they do appear to be part of a woodland mix , I did think they
might be a cornus but the bark is brown . the leaves are ovate and heavily
veined .

Cotinus coggigria (shrub) and copper beech can look quite red against the
sun.

Franz

Old 06-10-2003, 12:03 AM
David Hill

"..........Also as I travel up and down the A 1 , this last week the leaves
on a certain tree / shrub has caught my eye , in strong sunlight the
crimson colour of the leaves are stunning .........."

We have a few Liquid Amber trees on a local estate that have sections that
are in really great colour, strange how just some branches are like it.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-10-2003, 12:28 AM
Bob Hobden

"David wrote in message ...
"..........Also as I travel up and down the A 1 , this last week the

leaves
on a certain tree / shrub has caught my eye , in strong sunlight the
crimson colour of the leaves are stunning .........."

We have a few Liquid Amber trees on a local estate that have sections that
are in really great colour, strange how just some branches are like it.

Our Liquidamber used to colour well ( from green to almost black through all
the reds) but some years it would only be one side or a small part only. I
always assumed it was where the frost /sun touched it but that's only a
guess. Lovely tree anyhow.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 06-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Pam Moore

wrote:

Also as I travel up and down the A 1 , this last week the leaves on a
certain tree / shrub has caught my eye , in strong sunlight the crimson
colour of the leaves are stunning

We went to Westonbirt yesterday and the acers are stunning, but the
best colour we saw was on a row of Liquidambars in a garden centre
car-park in Nailsworth, Glos. They just looked like pillars of flame
from the distance and wonderful close up. It could be that.

Pam in Bristol
Old 06-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "Mick" contains these words:

Also as I travel up and down the A 1 , this last week the leaves on a
certain tree / shrub has caught my eye , in strong sunlight the crimson
colour of the leaves are stunning , they are not Sorbus or Ash that are
turning , they do appear to be part of a woodland mix , I did think they
might be a cornus but the bark is brown . the leaves are ovate and heavily
veined .

The native Cornus which is found in mixed hedging doesn't have red
stems. On the other hand, I'm not sure that they're brown (It's too dark
to go and look) but they're certainly fairly dark coloured. Many tend to
turn a very dark crimson but some go brighter red.

Another small tree that is bright red at the moment and comes in native
wood/hedge mixes is the spinde, Euonymus europaeus. It also has the
right shaped leaves

Janet G

Plant Identity? Endorphin Gardening 5 29-09-2008 04:29 AM
Weed identity and means of killing needed for newbie to group Twitchell Lawns 6 18-06-2008 05:10 PM
Plant Identity? - green-flowers-01.jpg (1/1) Mike Dee[_3_] Garden Photos 2 28-09-2007 01:43 PM
Plant identity please Broadback United Kingdom 2 11-12-2006 05:34 PM
plant identity redstar United Kingdom 8 09-07-2003 05:28 PM