Old 06-10-2003, 08:43 AM
Martin

Default Neighbour Probs - Gardening Related

Where my neighbours drive meets mine there is an area of soil
approximately 18 inches wide 50 feet long. There are four original
1950's concrete boundary posts on this area with a hole in each to mark
the boundary.

I am not a keen gardener although my neighbour is. I keep my side of the
boundary free of weeds and cleared because my drive slopes towards it
for rain run off.

My neighbour last year decided to "dig over" his and my side without
notice and then grumbled when I then dug into my side to form a small
trench for the rain.

My neighbour plants (cheap) flowers along his side and just leaves them.
These spread leaves/flowers to my side which I prune back to the border.
If I let his flowers grow my side without pruning, he may assume
(wrongly) that he can do whatever he likes with this area in future !

I also feel that he would not be pleased if the situation were reversed
and I planted some large flowers that encroached on to his side.

Would other readers of this group let the neighbour do what he likes
with the border, or take the the limited action that I have taken to
keep my land mine !

Martin.

Old 06-10-2003, 09:33 AM
Snowman

"Martin" wrote in message
[...]

I should keep doing some work on it, otherwise after 12 years he might try
to claim that it's his. What about putting down a border of ornamental
edging blocks? Then you could either put some simple gound cover plants on
your side, or if you don't want plants, what about cobbles.

Peter.

Old 06-10-2003, 09:33 AM
Jeffery

Why not just speak reasonably to your neighbour and explain why you keep
your side clear. The neighbour might not realise why your side is clear and
think he is doing you a favour. Try it - you may make a new friend.

Best wishes,
Jeffery.
This message has been scanned by Norton Antivirus 2003.

Old 06-10-2003, 04:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
[...]

The only ways to save the situation are
(1) Move
(2) Take sufficient interest in gardening to rationally discuss with your
neighbour how that
piece of land might be used to the best aesthetic advantage. That way you
might both get some enjoyment out of it.
(3) If your neighbour plants cheap flowers, you might buy some really
tremendously expensive flowers and put them in on your side of the boundary,
just to show him that you are perfectloy capable of keeping up with the
Jones's.

Franz

Old 06-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Sad Sid

"Martin" wrote in message
Would other readers of this group let the neighbour do what he likes
with the border, or take the the limited action that I have taken to
keep my land mine !

Martin.

The most valuable asset you can have is a friendly neighbour.

My land was separated from my neighbour by an empty (but horribly overgrown)
plot. He used to keep the hedge between the plot and his garden trimmed from
both sides - the hedge is his pride and joy.
I bought the overgrown plot (after offering to let him have half - which he
refused). I cleared it and laid a lawn ,vegetable beds and a small orchard.
My neighbour continued to trim the hedge from both sides - despite a polite
request to leave my side to me. It irked me that he walked onto my property
without asking, but hey! it only happens twice a year.

When the deeds came back from the Land Registry I discovered that the hedge
is actually mine.
I have not told him. I will not tell him - unless we fall out over something
else! I have made a point of objecting to his presence on the property which
is sufficient should a claim be made under the adverse possession law.

I'd rather have peace and quiet than a few feet of ground.

Old 07-10-2003, 01:48 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Sad Sid" . contains these words:

[...]

You could tactfully ask him not to come in and say that you have to ask
him because if you don't, you agree tacitly to permit him, and since
that bit of your property isn't yet included in your insurance, you
would be liable personally if he should injure himself there.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 07-10-2003, 03:23 AM
bnd777

"Sad Sid" . wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
[...]

I would be overjoyed if my neighbour cut my side of his nasty hedge

Old 07-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Steve Harris

You need to deploy the magic word:

Leylandii!

Old 07-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Steve Harris

Old 07-10-2003, 10:49 PM
Steve Harris

You need to deploy the magic word:

Leylandii!

What is the best gardening-related gift you've ever received? (or wish you had)? Mayners67 Gardening 10 19-05-2012 09:56 PM
Flymo probs! JK Gardening 0 04-05-2003 05:08 PM
Capsicum & Chilli Probs FASTEDDY Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Tree probs caused by Ivy Mike United Kingdom 8 02-03-2003 07:59 AM
Herbs in pots - any probs? Paul England United Kingdom 4 12-11-2002 10:54 AM