Old 06-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Lorna

Default Squirrel Digging Up Bulbs (and badgers...)

"Janice" wrote in message
... Are there any
bulbs in particular that squirrels will dig up? I believe
they're particularly fond of crocus? What about daffs, muscari, hyacinth,
snowdrops and the like? Will they dig up everything?

Is there anything that will discourage them from digging bulbs out of the
border?

I think I read at some other point in this news group an idea which struck
me as quite brilliant - protect the bulbs with a layer of chicken wire. But
squirrels are so resourceful (to put it kindly), that they'd probably just
burrow under it. Maybe you could construct a kind of bulb 'cage'?

My brother would sympathise - one autumn, while his wife Sue was away, he
decided in a fit of romantic enthusiasm to plant her name in crocus bulbs on
a grassy bank they can see from their bedroom window. What a lovely
surprise in spring, he thought. But a few days after he'd planted SUE in
four-feet high letters, a neighbour spotted the local badger gang rootling
up the whole lot. He gave up the idea, just glad that her name wasn't
ANNABELINDA or CASSANDRA or something...