Old 06-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Bry Bry is offline
Registered User

Default growing fir cones and horse chestnut?

I've picked up a few fir cones and horse chestnut seeds recently.

The fir cone is from a botanical garden, and is from this really unusual rare tree, so I'm hoping it will grow. My only problem is, how do I go about growing it... I've never done this before, so my first idea was planting the whole thing in a pot, but I'd rather have some advice before I do this?

The horse chestnut is just a regular one and I'm sure I can simply plant this, but any advice on how to grow it would be welcome.

Oh, I just remembered. I also have found this vine which was a dark red colour with purple berrys! No idea what it was, but I got a few berrys and hope to grow some. Should I plant the whole berry or extract the seeds from it first?

Thanks in advance,
Bry
Old 06-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"Bry" wrote in message
s.com...
I've picked up a few fir cones and horse chestnut seeds recently.

The fir cone is from a botanical garden, and is from this really
unusual rare tree, so I'm hoping it will grow. My only problem is, how
do I go about growing it... I've never done this before, so my first
idea was planting the whole thing in a pot, but I'd rather have some
advice before I do this?

If the cone is ripe, you should be able to shake the seeds out of it. Plant
them about 1/8" deep in seed compost and wait.

[snip]

Franz

Old 06-10-2003, 05:45 PM
Peter Crosland

Be very careful when you plant it that the location will allow the tree to
grow without problems to your house or any neighbouring property.

Old 06-10-2003, 08:40 PM
Bry Bry is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Crosland
Be very careful when you plant it that the location will allow the tree to
grow without problems to your house or any neighbouring property.

Thanks for the replys.

That's a good point about the distance, but I'm not too concerned as this old house has an excellent foundation. Because it has a full basement and is seated on the compacted stone and soil deep down, I don't have anywhere near the trouble someone in a newer house with a poured foundation would have. But, of course I will plant it at a reasonable distance... What would be a good distance for such a house with a horse chestnut tree and a type of duglas fir? I would like them quite close to the house.

Anyway, I guess my cone isn't ripe as I can't shake any seeds out of it, and it doesn't seem as opened out as some of the ones I saw there. Do I have to wait for it to ripen?

Bry
Old 06-10-2003, 10:07 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message m
from Bry contains these words:

The fir cone is from a botanical garden, and is from this really
unusual rare tree, so I'm hoping it will grow. My only problem is, how
do I go about growing it... I've never done this before, so my first
idea was planting the whole thing in a pot, but I'd rather have some
advice before I do this?

Allow cone to dry. When it opens, shake out seeds. You may have to beat
the cone about a bit, but I doubt it.

By which time, you will have found the name of the tree and posted it?
It's difficult to advise on planting seeds when they're incognito.

Some seeds need to be scorched on the outside.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 06-10-2003, 11:40 PM
ned

Bry wrote:

snip
What would be a good distance for such a house
with a horse chestnut tree and a type of duglas fir? I would like

them
quite close to the house.

A horse chestnut can grow to a height of 115ft (35m). Depending on
soil conditions, a good general rule of thumb would be that the root
system might extend the same distance, ie 18m radius. But, roots will
take advantage of any 'easy' opportunity and will invade pipes and
cracks to cause havoc where least expected.
And should you live in a tornado belt, would you want a tree of that
size toppling on your house?
I wonder if that is why it is not advised to plant trees near houses.
;-)
The Douglas fir might grow even taller. Say 180ft. and would be at
even greater risk to wind damage.

--
ned

Old 07-10-2003, 03:29 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "ned" contains these words:

And should you live in a tornado belt, would you want a tree of that
size toppling on your house?

We don't tend to have really large tornados in the UK.

The most powerful I've (nearly) experienced was when one tore up the A
140 through Long Stratton and removed most of the tiles from the roofs
on one side of the road.

And a local café owner looked out of the window to see his Merc sliding
by on its roof.

No trees uprooted, broken etc.

However, we do have the occasional hurricane.......

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 07-10-2003, 04:23 AM
ned

Jaques d'Altrades wrote:
The message
from "ned" contains these words:

And should you live in a tornado belt, would you want a tree of

that
size toppling on your house?

We don't tend to have really large tornados in the UK.

snip

However, we do have the occasional hurricane.......

LOL. As I peer out from under my fallen chestnut tree, watching the
neighbours merc slide by on its roof, I doubt that I will be debating
whether that was a tornado or a hurricane. ;-)

--
ned

Old 07-10-2003, 02:55 PM
Bry Bry is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by ned
Bry wrote:

snip
[...]

Thanks for the height info, I was expecting them to grow big and fortunatly planned ahead with the places to put them.

As for tornados, well we don't have many problems with those in central London. lol. I can just picture the news headline, "A giant twister has risen out the Thames and is headed towards Holland Park!". Anyway, I don't think dropping one of those trees on my house would be a good idea, although it's allready been hit by a bomb...

By close to the house I was thinking of 21 meters for the fir tree and 18 for the horse chestnut. I currently have some very old trees (one is dated around 1900) which are so close to the house I can easily reach out the window and touch the branches. The only trouble I did have was roots getting in to an old broken drain pipe, which only happened after the pipe failed. If anything goes wrong I can allways remove the tree in the future.

Bry

Old 07-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Andrew Glass

Bry wrote:

[...]

I planted a few mixed firs and pines taken from cones this spring and
many of them are doing very well (in fact I'm wondering what I'm going
to do with the 40 of them growing in pots).

Some seeds (depending on the species)seem to need to feel a touch of
frost before they'll germinate. This can be best done by planting in the
autumn and leaving outside over winter. It may take several months for
anything to happen so best to use a covered tray and just check it every
week or so in the spring. The seeds from cones I've planted in the past
have been collected in the early sping when they have already had this.
Check the species though.

I'd certainly recommend planting in a seed tray and then transferring to
pots when the seedlings have grown enough. Then you can decide where to
plant them later.

If the cone has not yet opened place it it a warm sunny spot (indoors)
for a few days, this normally does the trick. Even if the cone doesn't
open fully you can still get some perfectly good seeds out using a pair
of tweezers and a little brute force (worked for me.

Whish reminds me I have some scots pine and birch seeds to plant soonish.

I have to say that trees have to be the most rewarding plant to grow
from seed - but you need a lot of space which unfortunately I don't
have. Luckily my parents do and regularly like to plant a few more trees
on the property :-)

Andrew

Old 07-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message m
from Bry contains these words:

The only trouble I did have was
roots getting in to an old broken drain pipe, which only happened after
the pipe failed.

Yes, but it failed because the roots pushed their way in.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 07-10-2003, 10:48 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Andrew Glass contains these words:

Whish reminds me I have some scots pine and birch seeds to plant soonish.

Huh! Birches come up like weeds in all my seed trays. Anyone want any?

(No need to answer that Chris - I've got some for you!)

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 07-10-2003, 11:49 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message m
from Bry contains these words:

The fir cone is from a botanical garden, and is from this really
unusual rare tree, so I'm hoping it will grow. My only problem is, how
do I go about growing it... I've never done this before, so my first
idea was planting the whole thing in a pot, but I'd rather have some
advice before I do this?

Allow cone to dry. When it opens, shake out seeds. You may have to beat
the cone about a bit, but I doubt it.

By which time, you will have found the name of the tree and posted it?
It's difficult to advise on planting seeds when they're incognito.

Some seeds need to be scorched on the outside.

Scorched? Around 200 deg C?

Franz

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 07-10-2003, 11:55 PM
Franz Heymann

[...]

Reduce pine cones from douglas fir? james[_2_] Lawns 5 21-07-2009 01:30 PM
Douglas fir or Douglas-fir?? [email protected] Plant Science 3 29-06-2005 03:12 AM
[IBC] Horse Chestnut Jim Lewis Bonsai 4 02-09-2003 01:02 AM
Horse Chestnut John Kelway Bonsai 2 27-08-2003 08:42 PM
Horse Chestnut Seedlings StormCrow United Kingdom 6 13-05-2003 05:32 PM