Old 09-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Therefore

Default Beauty of Bath

Hello,
I wonder if any of you have the old English eating apple Beauty of Bath.

When I was a tacker in the 1940s I used to raid an orchard with my mates and
the earliest and best eater was the Beauty of Bath.

Brings back memories ...............Leslie

Old 09-10-2003, 11:44 PM
David Hill

I wonder if any of you have the old English eating apple Beauty of Bath.

When I was a tacker in the 1940s I used to raid an orchard with my mates and
the earliest and best eater was the Beauty of Bath.

We had one in the garden in Hastings when I was young, always a race against
the Wasps to get to the apples first. Ahhhhhhhhhhh .....memories

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 10-10-2003, 12:33 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Therefore" contains these words:

Hello,
I wonder if any of you have the old English eating apple Beauty of Bath.

When I was a tacker in the 1940s I used to raid an orchard with my mates and
the earliest and best eater was the Beauty of Bath.

Brings back memories

No, but my grandmother had one in her garden. I intend getting one, or
at least a bud from one.

Watch this space.....

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 10-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Edwin Spector

I think I read that this variety fell out of favour due to its poor
(non-existant) keeping qualities. However, a colleague _might_ have an old,
condemned tree in his garden, so I may try grafting a bit. Trouble is that he's
not sure of the variety.

Edwin
Bath.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Therefore

Yes the keeping quality I believe was about 5 minutes the time it took to
eat.

Unfortunately a couple of days was about its limit but what a feast.

I have never seen them in catalogues which is quite a shame .

........................Leslie

Old 12-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Edwin Spector contains these words:

I think I read that this variety fell out of favour due to its poor
(non-existant) keeping qualities. However, a colleague _might_ have an old,
condemned tree in his garden, so I may try grafting a bit. Trouble is
that he's
not sure of the variety.

The apple is, as I remember it, smallish, a sort-of creamy yellow
heavily streaked with red, radiating from the sharp end.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 12-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Serendipity

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 18:24:31 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from Edwin Spector contains these words:

I think I read that this variety fell out of favour due to its poor
(non-existant) keeping qualities. However, a colleague _might_ have an old,
condemned tree in his garden, so I may try grafting a bit. Trouble is
that he's
not sure of the variety.

The apple is, as I remember it, smallish, a sort-of creamy yellow
heavily streaked with red, radiating from the sharp end.

Someone on this group advised Bernwode Plants as a source
of information and supplier of fruit trees. I sent off for their
catalogues and their comments on Beauty of Bath are ...
" One of the most popular early dessert apples for well
over 100 rears, sometimes eaten as early as July. Small
brightly coloured fruit which is sweet when ripe but always
has plenty of acidity. Crisp and juicy eaten straight from
the tree but the fruit soon softens and will not store. Heavy cropper.
Good for cordons as the tree readily forms fruiting spurs."
A warning is given concerning frost damage as the tree
flowers so early!

The website may be found at ...

www.bernwodeplants.co.uk
Old 12-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Martin Sykes

"Therefore" wrote in message
I have never seen them in catalogues which is quite a shame .

I've just got the catalogue from Buckingham Nurseries and it's in there.
Description is 'Sweet, juicy and pleasently sharp. Bright red flush on pale
yellow skin. Heavy crops, spreading habit'. £10.95

website is www.hedging.co.uk

I've used them once before and the plants arrived quickly and in good order.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 12-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Martin Sykes
writes

"Therefore" wrote in message
t...
I have never seen them in catalogues which is quite a shame .

I've just got the catalogue from Buckingham Nurseries and it's in there.
Description is 'Sweet, juicy and pleasently sharp. Bright red flush on pale
yellow skin. Heavy crops, spreading habit'. £10.95

website is www.hedging.co.uk

I've used them once before and the plants arrived quickly and in good order.

And another sighting ...

Scotts nurseries, merriott

Pollination group 2, also available as fan, late summer dessert

'very early, rather small, mottled orange and scarlet on yellow,
pleasantly sharp but sweet and juicy'.

It's one of their recommended varieties amongst the early croppers,
along with George Cave, Discovery, Laxton's Epicure, Merton Knave and
Red Melba.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 13-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Serendipity contains these words:

The website may be found at ...

www.bernwodeplants.co.uk

Thanks for that.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 22-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Ewald Schroder

hang on...

" One of the most popular early dessert apples for well
over 100 rears..."

that bit really bugs me: is that how they used to enjoy this heavy
cropping apple in the old days down in bath? by enema??

ewald schroder

Apple Beauty of Bath Therefore[_2_] United Kingdom 2 07-11-2011 02:20 PM
salt bath questions figaro Ponds 31 29-08-2004 08:41 PM
Something red grows in the bird bath Anonny Moose Gardening 8 21-05-2004 03:02 AM
Plant bath? Craig D Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 25-08-2003 03:12 PM
BIRD BATH QUESTION WARRENRN1 Gardening 4 22-07-2003 05:08 PM