GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Which is right..? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/45150-right.html)

DLee 09-10-2003 11:12 PM

Which is right..?

Hi All

This is more newbie question from a newbie gardener for you.

I am planning to lay slabs in our middle of the backgarden, so we can have
extra patio ares and also put a shed there.
I ahve not done this work before, and I was watching TV DIY program, and
also read DIY books from the library. But they are teling different stories.

The books says that you must dig 1 ft deep, and then put hardcore for 0.5 ft
and level it, then put sand and then slabs can be laid on it.

Tommy Walsh in H&L channel DIY program was teaching his students - just make
motar (5 builders sand + 1 cement), and he just put them on the flattened
soil, and then laid slabs on it. No hardcore, no sand.. - surely this will
create drainage problem, and due to soil movement - slabs will go up and
down in a few years?

What do you advise on this?

cheers

Dan

Nick Maclaren 10-10-2003 12:02 AM

Which is right..?

In article ,
DLee wrote:

I am planning to lay slabs in our middle of the backgarden, so we can have
extra patio ares and also put a shed there.
I ahve not done this work before, and I was watching TV DIY program, and
also read DIY books from the library. But they are teling different stories.

The books says that you must dig 1 ft deep, and then put hardcore for 0.5 ft
and level it, then put sand and then slabs can be laid on it.

Tommy Walsh in H&L channel DIY program was teaching his students - just make
motar (5 builders sand + 1 cement), and he just put them on the flattened
soil, and then laid slabs on it. No hardcore, no sand.. - surely this will
create drainage problem, and due to soil movement - slabs will go up and
down in a few years?

Neither. The former is WAY overkill, and is what you need to do if
building something to take light goods vehicles! The latter is a
damn-fool idea, for the reasons you give, amongst others.

Cormaic has some first-class Web pages on this, but I forget where
they are. Even they are slightly overkill for a simple patio and
shed, but tell you how to do the job 'properly'.

If you have stable soil (i.e. largely sand or gravel), then you don't
need any foundation - just tread the soil down well. If you are on
clay, then it will heave a bit if you do that, but that isn't critical
for a patio and shed base.

You then want to use 2" of sharp sand to lay the slabs on. You CAN
lay slabs straight on soil (I have done a lot of that), but it is a
right pain in the neck unless the soil is (a) very sandy and (b) very
dry. I wouldn't advise it, starting now.

For a simple patio and shed base, you can be very laid back indeed.
Follow Cormaic's Web pages, but don't worry about getting everything
perfect.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Franz Heymann 10-10-2003 09:32 AM

Which is right..?

"DLee" wrote in message
[...]

Tommy Walsh's method is a cowboy method. You are likely to be sorry if you
follow it.

Franz

Jim W 10-10-2003 11:33 AM

Which is right..?

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
DLee wrote:

[...]

I can agree with Nicks comments.. See cormaic's pages ..

The short answer.. 'Both' methods are accptable, but one will last
longer than the other.. the method shown is a 'quicky' method..
acceptable for light domestic use.. The hardcore method is 'industrial'
style.. By the book (probably) and would be more acceptable to heavy
pedestrian traffic.

http://www.pavingexpert.com is the site Nick refers to.

//
Jim

Jaques d'Altrades 11-10-2003 04:22 AM

Which is right..?

The message

You then want to use 2" of sharp sand to lay the slabs on. You CAN
lay slabs straight on soil (I have done a lot of that), but it is a
right pain in the neck unless the soil is (a) very sandy and (b) very
dry. I wouldn't advise it, starting now.

Don't forget to leave a small hollow right in the middle of where each
slab will be so you can (lightly) tamp them down level with each-other.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

PA 12-10-2003 12:12 PM