Old 10-10-2003, 12:42 AM
DLee

Default Sharpening spades

Hi All

I have 2 spades - one works great - it goes through to any soil with little
effort, and cuts soil like butter. The other one does not work very well.
The difference? One has sharp edge, the other has blunt edge.

What tools are best for sharpening spades?

cheers

Dan

Old 10-10-2003, 01:02 AM
OldRedNeck

A common coarse half round file about 10 inches long

Old 10-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Thomas Prufer

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 23:17:07 +0100, "DLee"
wrote:

What tools are best for sharpening spades?

Angle grinder?

Thomas Prufer
Old 10-10-2003, 10:32 AM
William Tasso

wrote:

What tools are best for sharpening spades?

Angle grinder?

gets my vote.

--
William Tasso [dot] com

Old 10-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Tim Challenger

wrote:

What tools are best for sharpening spades?

Angle grinder?

gets my vote.

I use an angle-grinder and finish it off with a file to remove any burrs or
pointy bits.

A rough file on its own would do.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

Old 10-10-2003, 01:32 PM
David Hill

I would always use a file, ...the problem with using an angle grinder or
grindstone is that you stand a good chance of heating the blade and spoiling
the temper if the metal.
This is a job you only need to do once, you are thinning the leading edge of
the blade, not just putting a cutting edge on it.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 11-10-2003, 05:22 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "DLee" contains these words:

What tools are best for sharpening spades?

Files. Sharpen the back of the spade, not the front, and don't make the
angle too sharp or it will just get blunt a lot quicker.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 11-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Jaques d'Altrades contains these words:

The message
from "DLee" contains these words:

What tools are best for sharpening spades?

Files. Sharpen the back of the spade, not the front, and don't make the
angle too sharp or it will just get blunt a lot quicker.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

I read in a book once that just using it would sharpen it up. Mine
certainly seems as sharpe if not sharper than when I bought it, and it
certainly has had some use this year.

However, I am very particular about garden tools maintenance. I think it
comes from having a full set of very expensive Bonsai tools. Odd that
I`d pay 60 quid for a pair of stainless steel scissors but would baulk
at the same price spade.

Humans are such funny creatures.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 11-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Tony Bull

"DLee" wrote in message ...
Hi All

I have 2 spades - one works great - it goes through to any soil with little
effort, and cuts soil like butter. The other one does not work very well.
The difference? One has sharp edge, the other has blunt edge.

What tools are best for sharpening spades?

cheers

Dan

Use a file. The hardness of the spade is quite low so that a file will
easily cut it. Use a file also on hand shears also but only file the
bevel thats already there. The spade is not a precision cutting
instrument so it doesn't matter whether you file both edges or just
one but I agree with the other correspondent that the finer the angle
the quicker the spade will become blunt.
Tony Bull
www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk
Old 12-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

However, I am very particular about garden tools maintenance. I think it
comes from having a full set of very expensive Bonsai tools. Odd that
I`d pay 60 quid for a pair of stainless steel scissors but would baulk
at the same price spade.

I prefer full-sized tools for my gardening......

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 12-10-2003, 11:02 AM
martin

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 18:35:14 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

However, I am very particular about garden tools maintenance. I think it
comes from having a full set of very expensive Bonsai tools. Odd that
I`d pay 60 quid for a pair of stainless steel scissors but would baulk
at the same price spade.

I prefer full-sized tools for my gardening......

A bonsai chain saw could come in handy for pruning ...
--
Martin
Old 13-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from martin contains these words:

wrote:

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

However, I am very particular about garden tools maintenance. I think it
comes from having a full set of very expensive Bonsai tools. Odd that
I`d pay 60 quid for a pair of stainless steel scissors but would baulk
at the same price spade.

I prefer full-sized tools for my gardening......

A bonsai chain saw could come in handy for pruning ...
--
Martin

Oddly enough........................

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use

Old 13-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Christopher Norton

wrote:

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

However, I am very particular about garden tools maintenance. I think it
comes from having a full set of very expensive Bonsai tools. Odd that
I`d pay 60 quid for a pair of stainless steel scissors but would baulk
at the same price spade.

I prefer full-sized tools for my gardening......

A bonsai chain saw could come in handy for pruning ...
--
Martin

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
as it`s a spam haven.

Senator Spades and warranty Furby United Kingdom 5 10-05-2005 11:37 AM
senator spades and warranty (repost due to news server error) Furby United Kingdom 0 08-05-2005 05:18 PM
Serious forks & spades Doug Kanter Gardening 15 26-08-2004 02:58 AM
Special spades Cicero United Kingdom 6 25-01-2004 12:33 AM
"Spearwell" spades David Rose United Kingdom 3 29-11-2003 04:05 PM