GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   A Danger to the World's Food: Genetic Engineering and the Economic Interests of the Life Science (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/45190-re-danger-worlds-food-genetic-engineering-economic-interests-life-science.html)

Tumbleweed 09-10-2003 09:32 PM

A Danger to the World's Food: Genetic Engineering and the Economic Interests of the Life Science

"pearl" wrote in message
GE 101-35S (PA)

The CaMV Promoter Story
The Cauliflower Mosaic Viral Promoter - A Recipe for Disaster?
by Dr. Mae-Won Ho, author of the book Biotechnology: Dream
or Nightmare?

snip

Better stop eating Cauliflower then?

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

pearl 09-10-2003 11:02 PM

A Danger to the World's Food: Genetic Engineering and the Economic Interests of the Life Science

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..
"pearl" wrote in message
GE 101-35S (PA)

The CaMV Promoter Story
The Cauliflower Mosaic Viral Promoter - A Recipe for Disaster?
by Dr. Mae-Won Ho, author of the book Biotechnology: Dream
or Nightmare?

snip

Better stop eating Cauliflower then?

Not unless it's GM. :-/ Read the article?

Peter Ashby 10-10-2003 05:02 PM

A Danger to the World's Food: Genetic Engineering and the Economic Interests of the Life Science

In article ,
"pearl" wrote:

Firstly they seem to
confer magical malicious properties on a promoter sequence. So it might
recombine? so might many thousands of other sites all over the
integrated genome, including endogenous retroviruses. There is nothing
there to suggest A) that this promoter would recombine preferentially
compared with endogenous viral promoters in the plant genome. or B) that
this magically malicious promoter would be able to do anything once
recombined. As an analogy, is an isolated light switch lying on a bench,
not connected to anything dangerous? No, so why should a promoter
sequence be? Both are switches, not effectors.

'Double-stranded DNA break repair (DSBR) is recognized to be
involved in the illegitimate recombination which enables plasmid DNA
to integrate into plant genomes following plant transformation (22-23);
and transgene rearrangements have been identified in both
Agrobacterium-mediated transformation (24) and particle bombardment
(25). Illegitimate recombination was also observed between a resident
transgene in a transgenic tobacco plant and a newly delivered transgene
(26). Illegitimate recombination involves sequences with either
microhomology or no homology between the junctions, often resulting in
filler DNA and deletions of nucleotides from one or both of the recombining
ends (27).

yawn, this is just an attempt to fool the gullible. If you don't know
why the above is not relevant to the risk from integrated transgenes
then you are in well over your head. Hint: there are no plasmids
involved.

You may want to
look further at the source to find why too. Not exactly unbiased.

Ok.. 'The School of Life Sciences at the University of Dundee was
formed in October 2000 from the Departments of Anatomy

And we do no work on transgenic plants. For that you need to travel down
the road to Invergowrie and the Scottish Crop Research Institute. There
are informal links with the university but they are entirely separate
institutions with different aims, objectives and funding sources. As for
my funding, to be brutally honest I don't know which pot of money I am
currrently funded by. I have been funded by the BBSRC, the MRC and the
Human Frontier Science Program. I have never worked on transgenic plants
and think it unlikely I will ever do so. I have never worked in industry
nor knowingly recieved industry backing for my research. I am not
currently seeking industry funding.

Here endeth my statement of interests.

Next attempted smear please.

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.

Oz 10-10-2003 05:02 PM

A Danger to the World's Food: Genetic Engineering and the Economic Interests of the Life Science

Peter Ashby writes
In article ,
"Tumbleweed" wrote:

"pearl" wrote in message
GE 101-35S (PA)

The CaMV Promoter Story
The Cauliflower Mosaic Viral Promoter - A Recipe for Disaster?
by Dr. Mae-Won Ho, author of the book Biotechnology: Dream
or Nightmare?

snip

Better stop eating Cauliflower then?

Especially since it is mutant cabbage and we have no idea what caused
the mutation. It might, gasp, have been a virus (cue gameshow style,
tension drums).

It's clearly a hideously deformed mutant cabbage.

God only knows what mutated product it produces that we have no idea
about. I very much doubt it has ever been tested for safety although at
least we know it contains carcinogenic and mutagenic mustard oils.

--
Oz
DEMON address no longer in use.

Peter Ashby 10-10-2003 05:43 PM

A Danger to the World's Food: Genetic Engineering and the Economic Interests of the Life Science

In article ,
Oz wrote:

Peter Ashby writes
In article ,
"Tumbleweed" wrote:

Better stop eating Cauliflower then?

Especially since it is mutant cabbage and we have no idea what caused
the mutation. It might, gasp, have been a virus (cue gameshow style,
tension drums).

It's clearly a hideously deformed mutant cabbage.

God only knows what mutated product it produces that we have no idea
about. I very much doubt it has ever been tested for safety although at
least we know it contains carcinogenic and mutagenic mustard oils.

It's really no wonder many people don't like Sprouts, even at solstice
celebrations. This is almost certainly a visceral anti GM instinct.

Peter
Who quite likes sprouts, especially at solstice celebrations when his
wife pan fries them with chestnuts. But then all extant life is simply
the mutants that won the lottery.

Tumbleweed 10-10-2003 06:42 PM

"pearl" wrote in message
GE 101-35S (PA)

The CaMV Promoter Story
The Cauliflower Mosaic Viral Promoter - A Recipe for Disaster?
by Dr. Mae-Won Ho, author of the book Biotechnology: Dream
or Nightmare?

snip

Better stop eating Cauliflower then?

Not unless it's GM. :-/ Read the article?

The article was about bits of CaMV which is used to xfer genes. I presume
that CaMV is therefore full of these bits (promoters) and thus would be even
worse. hence, if you are worried about GM done via CaMV, why arent you
worried about CaMV itself?

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Oz 10-10-2003 08:02 PM

A Danger to the World's Food: Genetic Engineering and the Economic Interests of the Life Science

Peter Ashby writes

It's really no wonder many people don't like Sprouts, even at solstice
celebrations. This is almost certainly a visceral anti GM instinct.

Well, for some people it's certainly a visceral instinct of some form.
Sometimes a retr0gastral instinct.

Who quite likes sprouts, especially at solstice celebrations when his
wife pan fries them with chestnuts.

Love sprouts, but not the insipid new low eructic acid cultivars.
I note the sophistiocation of your bubble & squeak,

But then all extant life is simply
the mutants that won the lottery.

Absolutely, a most accurate observation.

There are mutants all around us. Unfortunately the natural selection
process is somewhat inhibited in humans. So clearly failed mutants
without a lifeforce like lotus are allowed to survive instead of a rapid
culling, as should happen in the wild.

Franz Heymann 10-10-2003 08:42 PM

A Danger to the World's Food: Genetic Engineering and the Economic Interests of the Life Science

"pearl" wrote in message

[snip]

For most of the 20th century, scientists in British universities
were discouraged from engaging with industry,

Having spent more than half of the twentieth century in the University
world, I know that that statement is pure boloney as far as any University
of which I have knowledge is concerned.

for fear that
such contact would persuade them to concentrate on immediate
technological needs rather than on the more profound scientific
questions. Today, by contrast, contact between government-
funded researchers and industry is, in effect, compulsory in
many departments. The result is that there is scarcely a university
in the UK whose academic freedom has not been compromised
by its funding arrangements.

Please list those University Departments in which academic freedom has been
compromised by its funding arrangements, and illustrate how and why the
academic freedom of which members of staff was compromised.

You are making it quite plain that you are trying to grind an axe from a
position in which you possess neither axe nor grindstone.

Franz