GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Planting Bulbs? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/45277-planting-bulbs.html)

Dan Keeley 12-10-2003 01:02 PM

Planting Bulbs?

Hi,

I planted loads of bulbs last weekend, daffs, snowdrops, muscari armerium,
aliums and crocus's to be precise :)

however they've started growing! :( Not one or two but loads of them

is this a problem? Wont they just die in the cold, and if so that means they
wont come up netx year? Anything i can do other than plant a load more next
month?

Thanks!
Dan

Sacha 12-10-2003 01:22 PM

Planting Bulbs?

in article , Dan Keeley at
wrote on 12/10/03 12:49 pm:

Hi,

I planted loads of bulbs last weekend, daffs, snowdrops, muscari armerium,
aliums and crocus's to be precise :)

however they've started growing! :( Not one or two but loads of them

is this a problem? Wont they just die in the cold, and if so that means they
wont come up netx year? Anything i can do other than plant a load more next
month?

Thanks!
Dan

Perhaps being in storage has mollycoddled them a bit because it's a mild
autumn and things are 'confused'. When it gets colder that will probably
arrest their growth but with luck, they won't get frosted badly and will
flower normally, anyway. Even if they are somehow less than wonderful next
spring, it's unlikely to be a recurring problem, given the usual British
winter. ;-)
Have you talked to the bulb suppliers about this and asked how and where
they were stored? Might be worth a chat.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Robert 12-10-2003 02:22 PM

Planting Bulbs?

: Hi,
:
: I planted loads of bulbs last weekend, daffs, snowdrops, muscari
: armerium, aliums and crocus's to be precise :)
:
: however they've started growing! :( Not one or two but loads of them
:
: is this a problem? Wont they just die in the cold, and if so that
: means they wont come up netx year? Anything i can do other than plant
: a load more next month?
:
: Thanks!
: Dan

They'll be fine, they always start about now but how do you know they've
started? If they are showing through already I would say you have planted
them far too shallowly. If you have then don't movbe them now but put them
in much deeper after they die off next spring/summer

Dan Keeley 12-10-2003 02:32 PM

Planting Bulbs?

yup they're showing, some by 3inches but they were planted according to the
instructions, so its very strange!

just too early i guess, oh well!

Might just plant some more in nov instead :)

Cheers!
Dan

"Robert" wrote in message
: Hi,
:

Rodger Whitlock 12-10-2003 08:22 PM

Planting Bulbs?

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 12:49:24 +0100, Dan Keeley wrote:

I planted loads of bulbs last weekend, daffs, snowdrops, muscari armerium,
aliums and crocus's to be precise :)

however they've started growing! :( Not one or two but loads of them

is this a problem?

No. It's perfectly normal behavior. Most ordinary bulbs come from
areas with dry summers and wet winters, and are actually
winter-growing plants.

Wont they just die in the cold?...

No. They'll be just fine.

..and if so that means they wont come up next year?

Only a few of the usual garden-centre bulbs are frost-tender:
persian ranunculus being one, also the bigger ornithogalums, a
few others. The rest are pretty hardy and can handle winter.

Anything i can do other than plant a load more next month?

Yes: relax and stop worrying.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada