GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree Ferns (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/45425-tree-ferns.html)

Sandy 14-10-2003 02:22 PM

Tree Ferns

I've got a Tree Fern growing quite happily by the lake but I would like to
move it into a shady part of the cottage garden. Anyone know when & how Tree
Ferns should be moved? .

Niall Smyth 15-10-2003 12:02 PM

Tree Ferns

hi sandy

im not an expert but i've got one
and the supplier told me that its roots
are in the trunk and he only planted it
a foot to support it

try a google for dicksonia antartica

cheers

nial

"Sandy" wrote in message
I've got a Tree Fern growing quite happily by the lake but I would like to
move it into a shady part of the cottage garden. Anyone know when & how

Tree
Ferns should be moved? .

---

Franz Heymann 15-10-2003 03:32 PM

Tree Ferns

"Niall Smyth" wrote in message
hi sandy

im not an expert but i've got one
and the supplier told me that its roots
are in the trunk and he only planted it
a foot to support it

So what does it use its roots for? Auto cannibalism?

Franz

Sacha 15-10-2003 03:42 PM

Tree Ferns

in article , Franz Heymann at
wrote on 15/10/03 3:30 pm:

"Niall Smyth" wrote in message
hi sandy

im not an expert but i've got one
and the supplier told me that its roots
are in the trunk and he only planted it
a foot to support it

So what does it use its roots for? Auto cannibalism?

Franz

snip

I don't know if you've ever had one of these but what you get is a bare,
rootless log. Apparently, over time, they will put down roots into the
earth but it takes a while and they put out fronds, year after year, in the
meantime.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Franz Heymann 15-10-2003 10:13 PM

Tree Ferns

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , Franz Heymann at
wrote on 15/10/03 3:30 pm:

"Niall Smyth" wrote in message
hi sandy

im not an expert but i've got one
and the supplier told me that its roots
are in the trunk and he only planted it
a foot to support it

So what does it use its roots for? Auto cannibalism?

Franz

snip

I don't know if you've ever had one of these but what you get is a bare,
rootless log. Apparently, over time, they will put down roots into the
earth but it takes a while and they put out fronds, year after year, in

the
meantime.

I have indeed, but I accepted that what I bought was in fact effectively a
cutting which took a few seasons to root.
That does not mean that "its roots are in the trunk", and it was not planted
in the soil just for support. It was planted into a medium in which to
root.

{:-(

Franz

Kay Easton 15-10-2003 10:13 PM

Tree Ferns

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
in article , Franz Heymann at
wrote on 15/10/03 3:30 pm:

I don't know if you've ever had one of these but what you get is a bare,
rootless log. Apparently, over time, they will put down roots into the
earth but it takes a while and they put out fronds, year after year, in

the
meantime.

I have indeed, but I accepted that what I bought was in fact effectively a
cutting which took a few seasons to root.
That does not mean that "its roots are in the trunk", and it was not planted
in the soil just for support. It was planted into a medium in which to
root.

I've read that the roots are mainly for support, and the tree fern gets
most of its nutrient and water through the 'trunk' - this would make
sense for a plant that lives in high humidity areas.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Franz Heymann 16-10-2003 09:02 AM

Tree Ferns

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
in article , Franz Heymann at
wrote on 15/10/03 3:30 pm:

I don't know if you've ever had one of these but what you get is a

bare,
rootless log. Apparently, over time, they will put down roots into the
earth but it takes a while and they put out fronds, year after year, in

the
meantime.

I have indeed, but I accepted that what I bought was in fact effectively

cutting which took a few seasons to root.
That does not mean that "its roots are in the trunk", and it was not

planted
in the soil just for support. It was planted into a medium in which to
root.

I've read that the roots are mainly for support, and the tree fern gets
most of its nutrient and water through the 'trunk' - this would make
sense for a plant that lives in high humidity areas.

One learns something new every day.

Franz