Old 14-10-2003, 11:52 PM
Registered User

Location: Northumberland
Talking New Member Saying Hello

Hi everyone! I was browsing through the internet seeing if there were any gardening forums...and I found this one!
I'm Gill,35 years old, married to Neil and I've been gardening on and off since I was about 5 years old.
When I was young I had my own tiny patch in the corner of my dad's garden in which I used to grow all the easy stuff like candytuft,nasturtiums etc. Then when I left home I had a second-floor flat so was restricted to houseplants...my indoor jungle!
But when I met Neil in 1997 he had a ground-floor flat with a tiny(15ft X 12ft!) front garden and I took over that when I moved in!!! I mostly grew cottage garden plants but as we were just 100ft or so from the sea front it was rather windy at the best of times....anything taller than a couple of feet just blew over...or grew horizontally!!!
Then in April 2002 we moved to our current address which is a couple of miles inland and I now have a back garden which is 25ft X 15ft. It was mostly lawn(with an awful lot of moss,creeping buttercup and dandelion!)as the previous couple hated gardening. I added a border around the edges and grew mostly annuals and a few perennials that my father-in-law gave me to give it a bit of quick colour whilst we were busy sorting out the interior of the house!
This summer it hasn't looked too bad and I've realised where I need to add a few things to give more impact/interest etc and I'm already planning next years show!
As well as my all-consuming interest in gardening I also enjoy reading, writing long letters to penfriends,painting & sketching,keep fit, listening to classical music,visiting National Trust properties and gardens for ideas and going for long walks in the countryside. I used to do a lot of birdwatching a few years ago as well but after an unfortunate incident with a weirdo(!!!) I don't get to do as much as before....still retain a keen interest in the natural world though!
I'm a member of the RHS, Cottage Garden Society, Hardy Plant Society and the Saintpaulia & Houseplant Society. I also belong to a couple of art societies.
I'm sure I'll learn a lot from this forum and look forward to many happy hours of posting!!!
Old 15-10-2003, 09:22 AM
Robert

Default New Member Saying Hello

[...]

You're very welcome I'm sure

Old 15-10-2003, 10:13 AM
Franz Heymann

"Gill Osborne" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Hello Gill, and welcome.
Good gardening,
Franz

Old 15-10-2003, 10:22 AM
Ophelia

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Gill Osborne" wrote in

message

I'm sure I'll learn a lot from this forum and look forward to many
happy hours of posting!!!

Hello Gill, and welcome.
Good gardening,

Forgive me for jumping in on Franz but I didn't see your original post

Welcome Gill. You will find very knowledgeable, kind, helpful people here.
I don;t post often but I do read everything and learn a lot)

Ophelia
Scotland

Old 15-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Gary Woods

Gill Osborne wrote:

I'm a member of the RHS, Cottage Garden Society, Hardy Plant Society
and the Saintpaulia & Houseplant Society. I also belong to a couple of
art societies.
I'm sure I'll learn a lot from this forum and look forward to many
happy hours of posting!!!

And I'm sure I'll learn a lot listening to your posts!

Welcome, and beware of lurking colonists.

Cold, black, windy, "spitting" a little rain from time to time. Good thing
the garlic is in the shelter of the garage waiting to be trimmed and
weighed...

Cheers!

Old 15-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Gary Woods contains these words:

Cold, black, windy, "spitting" a little rain from time to time. Good thing
the garlic is in the shelter of the garage waiting to be trimmed and
weighed...

Humph! You can send some of that there 'spitting' here to East Angular.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 17-10-2003, 11:22 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Jaques d'Altrades contains these words:

The message
from Gary Woods contains these words:

Cold, black, windy, "spitting" a little rain from time to time.
Good thing
the garlic is in the shelter of the garage waiting to be trimmed and
weighed...

Humph! You can send some of that there 'spitting' here to East Angular.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Current soil conditions on the Allotment. Where rotovated - pure dust up
to about 20 cm. Where left - like concrete. 2 days rain in 4 months.
Still no hosepipe ban tho.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use