Old 15-10-2003, 12:42 PM
GitFinger

Default Rotovation

Hi All,

I am going to rotovate part of my garden this weekend (it was a pony paddock
that we have purchased from a neighbour that is uneven and pretty bare) in
preparation for grass seeding and I wondered if anyone could offer any
tips/advice, especially with regards to what type of grass seed to use.
I want a hard wearing, nice looking lawn but not a bowling green!

Many thanks

Dave

Old 15-10-2003, 02:12 PM
John Towill

"GitFinger" wrote in message
Hi All,

I am going to rotovate part of my garden this weekend (it was a pony

paddock
that we have purchased from a neighbour that is uneven and pretty bare) in
preparation for grass seeding and I wondered if anyone could offer any
tips/advice, especially with regards to what type of grass seed to use.
I want a hard wearing, nice looking lawn but not a bowling green!

Many thanks

Dave

Rather negative this, but don't turn it into a garden, eg put in flower
beds. To do this you will need planning permission, if done without it
could leed to a lot of greef. I am assuming that as it was a pony paddock
it will be designated as agricultural land.
Cheers
John T

Old 15-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "GitFinger" contains these words:

Hi All,

I am going to rotovate part of my garden this weekend (it was a pony paddock
that we have purchased from a neighbour that is uneven and pretty bare) in
preparation for grass seeding and I wondered if anyone could offer any
tips/advice, especially with regards to what type of grass seed to use.
I want a hard wearing, nice looking lawn but not a bowling green!

Many thanks

Dave

Unless you have had some rain recently (and I dont mean a couple of
showers but real rain) then I would say get some water onto the land
then dig it a little before getting the machinery out. Without water my
allotment`s clay soil is just like concrete and will not budge for my
5hp MTD at all!

Go to your local seed merchant and get a mixture heavy in rye grass.
That should be quite hard wearing.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 15-10-2003, 03:02 PM
GitFinger

"John Towill" wrote in message

I am assuming that as it was a pony paddock
it will be designated as agricultural land.
Cheers
John T

Hi John,

It is in the middle of a housing estate in Milton Keynes and was "used" as a
paddock by one neighbour, the other end which is owned by another neighbour
is cultivated garden.

Dave

Old 15-10-2003, 03:02 PM
GitFinger

"Christopher Norton" wrote in message

Unless you have had some rain recently (and I dont mean a couple of
showers but real rain) then I would say get some water onto the land
then dig it a little before getting the machinery out. Without water my
allotment`s clay soil is just like concrete and will not budge for my
5hp MTD at all!

Go to your local seed merchant and get a mixture heavy in rye grass.
That should be quite hard wearing.

Hi Chris,

I did wonder about the hardness of the soil, so last weekend I took my fork
and tested a few areas, they turned over quite easily - much to my surprise!

Thanks for the seed advice.

Dave

Old 15-10-2003, 04:32 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "GitFinger" contains these words:

"Christopher Norton" wrote in message

Unless you have had some rain recently (and I dont mean a couple of
showers but real rain) then I would say get some water onto the land
then dig it a little before getting the machinery out. Without water my
allotment`s clay soil is just like concrete and will not budge for my
5hp MTD at all!

Go to your local seed merchant and get a mixture heavy in rye grass.
That should be quite hard wearing.

Hi Chris,

I did wonder about the hardness of the soil, so last weekend I took my fork
and tested a few areas, they turned over quite easily - much to my surprise!

Thanks for the seed advice.

Dave

Just had a looksie. Try the following link.

http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seed.../grassseed.htm

If you cant find one that suits you there then I`m a green monkey from mars.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 15-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Sad Sid

"GitFinger" wrote in message
Hi All,

I am going to rotovate part of my garden this weekend and I wondered if

anyone could offer any
tips/advice, especially with regards to what type of grass seed to use.
I want a hard wearing, nice looking lawn but not a bowling green!

I did the same job eighteen months ago. I tried a number of different mixes
from B&Q and Homebase but by far the best was also the cheapest -Wickes
general purpose seed mix.
I sowed mine under polythene sheet (using several 12ft x 50ft rolls) which
had the seed up and running in a fortnight. I left it under cover until it
was strong enough to lift the sheets.

Old 15-10-2003, 09:12 PM
gitfinger

"Christopher Norton" wrote in message

Just had a looksie. Try the following link.

http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seed.../grassseed.htm

If you cant find one that suits you there then I`m a green monkey from

mars.

Brilliant - thanks!

Dave

Old 16-10-2003, 02:32 PM
John Towill

"GitFinger" wrote in message

"John Towill" wrote in message

I am assuming that as it was a pony paddock
it will be designated as agricultural land.
Cheers
John T

Hi John,

It is in the middle of a housing estate in Milton Keynes and was "used" as

paddock by one neighbour, the other end which is owned by another

neighbour
is cultivated garden.

Dave

Fine Dave, but I thought that Milton Keynes only had cows! :-))
Cheers
John T