GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   More fairy ring identification please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/45500-more-fairy-ring-identification-please.html)

Kay Easton 15-10-2003 07:04 PM

More fairy ring identification please

I can't get this one to key out ...

Fairy ring in lawn on damp clay.

Sturdy looking mushroom about 4inches high and about 3cm across cap.
Gills white, decurrent but not massively so. Spores white. Veil
(cortina?) on younger ones but I don't think it persists as a ring. Cap
tan around edges, pale tan over most of it, dark brown dusting at very
centre. Elastic band sort of consistency - not matte, but not waxy.
Domed - normal mushroom shape. Flesh springy rather than crumbly. Stem
similar colour to cap, whiter towards top, and with yellowish
powder/wool towards base.

Working hypothesis Clitocybe rivulosa
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Jaques d'Altrades 15-10-2003 09:12 PM

More fairy ring identification please

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Working hypothesis Clitocybe rivulosa

Wibble it. No-one's going to venture an identification on a verbal
description. (Unless it includes microscopic spore information and
chemical reactions.)

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Kay Easton 15-10-2003 10:13 PM

More fairy ring identification please

In article , Jaques d'Altrades
writes
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Working hypothesis Clitocybe rivulosa

Wibble it. No-one's going to venture an identification on a verbal
description. (Unless it includes microscopic spore information and
chemical reactions.)

I haven't got a digicam and it's too squashy to scan. I'm not going to
eat the thing so it's not a life and death identification.

Still, let's try another way .. apart from the fairy ring champignon and
C rivulosa, what else makes fairy rings?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Jaques d'Altrades 16-10-2003 07:22 PM

More fairy ring identification please

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Still, let's try another way .. apart from the fairy ring champignon and
C rivulosa, what else makes fairy rings?

Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds offem I'd guess. Most, if not all
Agaricus. Most, if not all Tricholoma (Lepista), most (ditto) puffballs,
Lactarius, Clitocybe, Inocybe, Lepiota - oh, and loads more.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Kay Easton 16-10-2003 08:02 PM

More fairy ring identification please

In article , Jaques d'Altrades
writes
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Still, let's try another way .. apart from the fairy ring champignon and
C rivulosa, what else makes fairy rings?

Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds offem I'd guess. Most, if not all
Agaricus. Most, if not all Tricholoma (Lepista), most (ditto) puffballs,
Lactarius, Clitocybe, Inocybe, Lepiota - oh, and loads more.

OK. I'll stick with the identification of Clitocybe sp. ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

martin 16-10-2003 10:02 PM

More fairy ring identification please

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:58:16 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Still, let's try another way .. apart from the fairy ring champignon and
C rivulosa, what else makes fairy rings?

Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds offem I'd guess. Most, if not all
Agaricus. Most, if not all Tricholoma (Lepista), most (ditto) puffballs,
Lactarius, Clitocybe, Inocybe, Lepiota - oh, and loads more.

and not forgetting the elves
--
Martin